View Single Post
Old 16-02-2010, 16:34   #4
Vicky

I'm often jealous of breeding/registration restrictions in other countries. It seems like here in the US, we have really backwards thinking in comparison! I tend to view the AKC at this point a necessary evil. While it's the best national registry we have, and they offer wonderful activities/sports for dogs, as well as neutered "mutt" registries so pets can participate, as long as you have on paper dogs that were previously registered with the AKC (I think it only has to be 3 generations, as well) you can register a litter. There's absolutely no DNA testing (last I checked, anyway, this could have changed) so false reports happen often, and I tend to blame the AKC for a lot of the puppy mills in this country because they have absolutely no restrictions to promote good breeding practice. From what I've heard, although good breeders are pushing for these restrictions, the AKC has yet to give in because a large portion of their income comes from puppy mills and back-yard breeders who do nothing but churn out unhealthy puppies for profit. It's a very broken system, because the AKC is necessary to keep purebred dogs registered in the US, so bankrupting them isn't going to help anything!

haha I guess long story short, there isn't much in regards to NATIONAL regulations on breeding. However, specific breed clubs generally all have a list of ethical breeding practices that members must abide to. It's just a shame that so many people don't care.