View Single Post
Old 21-11-2009, 14:37   #30
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joswolf View Post
Yes every dog can bite. Car accident's happen every day and yet we get in and don't worry.
I don't need links just look in the newspaper.
On topic is an article over hybrides wich is not the every day acceptable risk but a wild animal mixed with an dog. All the rest ic off topic.
Jos
If you look through that particular link, there are several "American Wolf Hybrid" cases interspersed...only a small percentage (the worst) of what has been in our news in recent years. You are right, Joswolf, we are all aware of these cases. But yet persistantly, at least in the US, we still have "breed specific legislation", which usually includes "wolfdogs" (no officials know the CSV or Saarloos). The best leg we have to stand on (legally) is the proven, documented standardization of the breed through decades of officially recorded breedings with high breeding pressure on temperament. Everyone also knows, dogs become more predictable that way. It's one of my biggest problems with hybrids in the US - there is not nearly as much predictability in the American mixes, because they have not followed the strict breeding schemes for anywhere near as much time as the CSV or Saarloos.

My point with the GSD links, and the other...like I said, this thread only made me think of the links...there are no absolutes in any living creature, only higher or lower thresholds for certain behaviors and what triggers them...even in one of the more "recent", well known, and beloved wolfdog breed before ours, the GSD. As owners of any breed, we can perform "best practice" with minimized risk by knowing the established trend and standard of predicted behavior of our breed, the unique, actual exhibited behavior of individual dogs, and a full knowledge of responsible ownership.

In short, I agree, the article is misleading.