View Single Post
Old 23-03-2010, 17:04   #34
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
It is a perfectly NATURAL reaction in any wolf/dog to protect their food, it's how they assert dominance in their pack where the leaders get to eat first and will growl/attack a lower member so that they get their fair share first.

Don't tell me that you've NEVER seen a dog growl over a bone in your life?!?!?!? [Though I doubt they'd ever growl over a Milkbone. My point exactly.
OK, I misunderstood what you were saying. If I take something away from my dogs, Zorro and Kiri will sometimes protest (in the form of grumbling, light growls) but nothing that I would consider "aggressive" (in fact, I think those acts are defensive / guardy). Of course they should protest - we aren't here because we enjoy the submissiveness and friendliness of the breed (and if we did we'd be into labs, newfies, and collies (please note: I find nothing wrong with those breeds, (yes, we also have a collie) but those breeds aren't as "intense" as vlcaks (and GSDs, malinois, doberman, etc))) we want our dogs to stand up for themselves and feel comfortable communicating with us (to a point).

I've seen (pet) dogs act truely aggressive with their food. If you went within 3-5 feet of their bowl, and it had food in it, then you're next place would be the hospital - this included the owners. THAT I have a problem with (and that is a sign of an owner who should learn more about dogs).
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote