View Single Post
Old 17-03-2010, 15:45   #4
draggar

Any breed can get bloat (our vet, during a bloat seminar, showed us x-rays of a toy poodle that got bloat).

While boat itself is not genetic, some of the conditions can be. A deep / barrel chest can raise the risk of bloat, "gassy" (digestive) dogs can also be a higher risk (I think this factor can also be genetic).

But - more energetic dogs can be a higher risk, this is not genetic (obviously).

Highly submissive dogs are also at a higher risk (rolling on their backs often) - obviously this is not generic either.

Royal Canin's German shepherd formula is also designed to help prevent bloat with the shape of their kibble (kinda look like larger X's from the Alphabits cereal). Even their GSD puppy formula is a smaller version of this.

While there are risks and factors that we can help prevent it (nap time immediately after means and a walk, etc.), some are higher risk than others (GSDs, Great Danes, etc..). I'm just wondering where the vlcak might be on the risk factor. I'm sure their size (slightly smaller than a GSD?) makes them a higher risk than most breeds, though.

I guess if Luna grows into a barrel chested, energetic, submissive girl who farts a lot we might need to keep the bloat kit in reach?
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote