View Single Post
Old 25-03-2010, 22:58   #5
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

It's the reason I asked for the name change, originally, with the AKC. The biggest thing in tackling laws is getting a definition of what a "wolfdog" is. The American Humane Society defines them as anything after F5, any dog that would be imported to the US today would very likely be F7+. Verbally representing a dog as a wolf mix could get you in trouble in some places, so I never do, unless I know it is a person I trust. "Wolf Hybrid" has been beaten down (since the dogs are not "technically" hybrids) to become synonymous with wolfdog. Good publicity, and very careful communication will be key to the slow and steady progression of the breed, the fact that the AKC recognizes them as a dog breed period, is an advantage. Negative publicity is what really scares me - one child getting bitten, or animal getting attacked here and making it to the news - and it will be a dark day for our breed in the US...