View Single Post
Old 26-03-2010, 13:26   #11
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
I don't think it is the number of generations that will make a dog less wolfy as opposed to how they are bred. Luna is a lot like a malinois or a working like GSD puppy which, even though bratty and wild looking, she is nothing like the litter of Finnish spitz puppies we had whom were extremely wolf-like in temperament yet that is one of the oldest breeds in existence (almost extinct for a while, too).
Agreed. Reference the tame-fox project that took place in Russia. Selectively breeding for human friendliness and biddability can happen over the course of just a few generations.

Also, feral dogs like dingos (which recently in the news was said to be the oldest creature considered a 'dog' in the world) and New Guinea Singing Dogs can be kept as pets just a few short generations after removal from the wild. The NGSD is also a recognized breed in the UKC and FCI now.

Just a note: I don't think that dogs and foxes are in the same species.. they can't reproduce.. the AKC was just printing another rumor of where people think Chis come from.. I think.. Chis can genetically reproduce with all other dogs and yes, even wolves. A chi-wolf..

ETA: Breed bans.. ugh. That's true, though, Sonia.. Typically here they'll ban pit types, rotties, dobes, akita, great danes.. etc.

Yet if you have a dog similar to, say, an Akita like a Shikoku-ken, apparently you're fine.

Last edited by yukidomari; 26-03-2010 at 13:37.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote