View Single Post
Old 16-07-2007, 11:11   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_cooker View Post
I was wondering if someone can tell me which are the oldest (been breeding CZW longest) or "best" breeders. Common sense tells me its one in the Czech Republic.
1. I doubt if anyone would answer your question openly on the forum. There are many breeders among people who write here - they know each other well, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. They often cooperate or/and compete with each other, so open criticism or praise would be a very sensitive matter.

2. There are good, average and poor breeders in every country where CSVs are bred. BTW - at present the CSV herd books are kept in Slovakia not in the Czech Republic, if I'm not mistaken. Also the 'age' of the kennel or quantity of pups "produced" say nothing about their quality: health, character, working ability, etc.

3.First of all you should know what you want the dog for, i.e. what you're planning to do with it...(train him, take to dog shows, just have a companion, breed on him/her or not, etc.) and only then you should start searching for a kennel that has such priorities as you're looking for. Responsible breeders sometimes try to match spceific pups with the expectations of potential owners.

4. If you want to buy a good CSV pup spend some time on the forum, visit websites of the breeders, do you homework, read the past threads... You're not the first person who wants to buy a "good" CSV pup and is seeking advice. Eg. http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5846

5. There more you learn about the breed, the breeders, the standards, etc. the better chances you have to buy a nice and healthy dog. Unfortunately this takes time, but buying a pup is more like adopting a child rather than getting a comodity from a store. Any haste or wishful thinking may cost you a lot, not only financially, but also emotinally.

6. And last but not least - remember that best breeders usually make the life a of a potential buyer really tough before they decide to sell him a pup This is because they do care about their dogs and they want to make sure it will have a good life. So be patient and don't behave like an assertive customer in a supermarket
Good luck
Rona (not a breeder)

Last edited by Rona; 16-07-2007 at 19:11.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote