View Single Post
Old 20-11-2006, 13:12   #18
michaelundinaeichhorn

In the German Kennel Club and as far as I am informed in the FCI there is the possibility to get dogs without pedigree registered by phenotype-simularity. The offspring won´t get normal pedigrees for several generations. The main positiv thing about it - and I think the reason for this regulation - is that you have the possibility to increase the genetic variability, on that way it is possible to get good dogs into breeding. The problem about it are dogs like the Saarloos-CSW-crosses. Though the crosses are a benefit for the Saarloos in my opinion they are a very bad thing for the CSW. There are two different types of PRA in the Saarloos breed, a genetic form of Epilepsy and a small brain degeneration. All those deseases are rezessiv what means they can spread quite a time before they start to make troubles, especially in countries without control of inherited eye deseases.
Actually I think in general it is a good thing to have the possibility to get good dogs without pedigrees into breeding, we don´t have so many good stud dogs at the moment. But in paticular it is a huge responsibility for the breeders to use this in a positiv way and I know of many cases where it has been misused not at least with the Mutara-Crosses. We are pretty sure that there are several Saarlooscrosses breeding as CSW at the moment what is the reason why I wouldn´t use some westerneuropean lines besides all other points.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote