View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53   #29
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede86 View Post
I would say (at least from what I can see with my dog) Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs are less "instinctive" and more rational in a lot of situations, and even when you may not be able to control them, they basically control themselves (depending on what experience taught them). I find this extremely useful in "real life", because if you manage to expose them to the right experiences in the right way, they can become very "trustworthy".
I agree, with one reservation. It works like you've described it, provided the dog learns new things gradually and internalizes them - i.e. obeys because he chooses to follow pack pinciples and finds such behaviour rewarding, (a pup gets treats, when adult - is usually praised + sometimes gets treats).

Any training shorcuts, like prong collars, physical penalities, electric fences, etc. IMO do not work for vlcaks. I mean even if they do - when the owner is not looking the dog does what he wants. It works exactly like with kids - aggressive behaviour is the best lesson of aggressive behaviour!

Though positive training methods are the best it doesn't mean that CSV are to be trained only by them. Negative ones IMO should be rather based on signalling the dog verbally and nonverbally the owner's discontent and even genuine anger. It must be sincere, because it's hard to fool them.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote