View Single Post
Old 18-07-2007, 07:58   #11
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_cooker View Post
Going back to my orginal question. I guess theres no "well known" breeders out there that meet all these standards or is it that theres too many? Are all the ones in the breeder list genuine CZW breeders?
(no hybrids) I only ask this cause it looks like any old shmoe can add a breeder to the list.
Mirka and Dharwolf are right and provdie you with good advice. Even reliable, "old" breeders happen to sell a 'faulty' pup among many healthy and nice ones, which doesn't mean that the breeder is dishonest, but e.g. some problems may appear later. On the other hand, "young" kennels may produce very interesting litters of unique matching, good characters and health. There are no rules. There were cases when several pups in some litters had HD problems, though the parents were X-rays and had A/0 results. Later it turned out that they all had the same ancestor somewhere in the lines with a HD problem.
Some CSV with relatively low "wolf blood content" are incredibly independent or shy, or have a tendency to run away, while others - with wolf genes close to 30% - are friendly creatures who love the whole world and enjoy being taken to every place - from a restaurant to a zoo. But again, this is not a rule, of course.

I'm not writing this to discourage you, but just to show you it's neither maths nor a checklist to tick off the items. People whom I know and who bought really lovely dogs devoted a few months (or sometimes even years) waiting for a particualr match. They visited the breeders, talked to them, watched how they treat the dogs and the pups, e.g. if they keep them in cages or at their homes - as part of the family and spend much time with them. They went to camps, observed the dogs during trainings, assessed their character, behaviour, studied show results etc. But again - a champion's title itself says nothing, since it could have been won at dog shows where there was no competition at all . I know fantastic dogs without many 'flashy' titles, because the owners have other priorities - interesting jobs, small kids, etc. and just want a companion at home or/and for work.

It's really incredible how much CSVs vary among themselves both in terms of appearance (colour, size, "face expression") and individuality. We had a CSV meeting a month ago, and after spending an hour or so among more than 10 dogs - the owners (even their kids) had no problems in recognising which is which even when they ran and played together in the garden like that:

Coming from the US you probably think in terms of "just do it" principle, which is perfect for effective business, but does not necessarily fit the context discussed above.. Excuse me for stereotyping, but I encouner this approach ever so often in my professional life! I don't criticsie it - just think it's not always the best way
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote