Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > _Administration

_Administration Questions connected with Wolfdog.org, database and other technical matters....

Old 21-12-2011, 10:06   #1
Rona
Distinguished Member

Default Vlcaks' life stories

Maybe a silly question to Admin, but I wonder if the life stories of our vlcaks are being recored and kept in the database or is the database only updated?

There are cases when somebody buys a CSV and then abandons it or resells it to a puppy mill or to a mix-breeding pseudobreeder, etc. etc. There are "vlcak enthusiasts" who care about the dog only for a couple of years and if the dog does not win shows and get P1 at bonitation, they either get a new "better" model or get involved in other hobbies

If facts from our vlcaks lives (e.g. previous owners) were visible in the database it might be easier to spot unrelieble people. I don't mean information assesseing or condemning the owners, because each case is different and things happen to people. But if somebody (lets say John D. from Z, coutry Y) wanted to buy a third vlcak in two years and his dogs notoriously changed owners, breeders might be more cautious before selling him a pup.

What do you think, guys?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 13:58   #2
Mist
www.steelmaker.cz

Great idea! I support it!
Old 21-12-2011, 18:14   #3
Shadowlands

Brilliant idea
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 19:13   #4
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Very good idea.

And I think, if a person resells their own dog, they must report it on the database like breeders report who they sell puppies to.

Otherwise maybe they should somehow be sanctioned on this site too.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 21:49   #5
mijke

I support your idea Rona!

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 00:26   #6
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I support it...but I guess it might become difficult, as there is nothing to "hold over the head" of an owner who doesn't share the story, so it would have to depend on the breeder (if they stay in touch through the life of the dog with the owner) or the hearsay of others...At least in the case of breeders, they have the wonderful reward of being able to advertise litters if they give information to the database. And that is certainly difficult to get compliance with as is...

But it would be very nice if there was a place to share it in the database for those owners/breeders who are willing to share.
Old 22-12-2011, 00:27   #7
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav

Supporting
Old 22-12-2011, 01:28   #8
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
I support it...but I guess it might become difficult, as there is nothing to "hold over the head" of an owner who doesn't share the story, so it would have to depend on the breeder (if they stay in touch through the life of the dog with the owner) or the hearsay of others...At least in the case of breeders, they have the wonderful reward of being able to advertise litters if they give information to the database. And that is certainly difficult to get compliance with as is...

But it would be very nice if there was a place to share it in the database for those owners/breeders who are willing to share.
I see your point, but new owners often re-register the dogs under their own names. In many cases it would be just enough to add a rubric "previous owner(s)".

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 06:30   #9
AMERICANI

Send a message via Yahoo to AMERICANI

Wouldn't it be more based on noticing trends with the dogs' data (not so much the owners), because the whole point is to sort out the places dogs leave, and if dogs continue to go to an owner (one who theoretically enters the dogs' info in the database), and new owners submit their info after Admin has entered information on the same dog before, then this should begin to show the trend. Lets say I go back to Europe, buy puppies, they don't meet my expectations, and I sell them.... over and over, I wouldn't be too keen on entering my info into the database because I know people would be looking for my name to come up. However, there are legitimate, ethical kennels (and / or companies) who import dogs (ie: Mals & GSDs) from Europe, to train for customers such as law enforcement and security agencies, not due to poor ethical or negligent practices, but I'm sure such a facility would need to develop a standing relationship with good breeders and Admin because they would only want high quality, healthy dogs.
I support this! I'm just saying that it may be best to show trends on "continuously moving dogs' " info and give notifications when such a "continuously moving dog" shows up. Lets say, dog #1 goes to "Bad Guy" from the breeder, and then moves again to a 2nd home. Then, dog #2 has the same thing happen. An entry would be posted with both dogs together with birth dates and info entry dates for each dog. The moment you look at this note, you would see that they both left "Bad Guy" , when, and at what age... I believe in order for this to work the best, an element of "the human factor" would need to involve Admin noticing some of the issues as well because all one needs to do is use a kennel name with one dog, their spouse's name with a 2nd, and their name with a 3rd before any data began to match, and there has just been 3 dogs run through them

Last edited by AMERICANI; 26-12-2011 at 06:44.
AMERICANI jest offline   Reply With Quote