Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > CzW in need

CzW in need CzW looking for new homes: dogs with pedigrees but also Wolfdog-alike dogs from animal shelters....

Old 06-06-2011, 19:52   #41
Gypsy Wolf

I do feel like I need to jump in here and perhaps clarify the situation. I got Luna from Marcy KNOWING the commitment it takes to raise a dog - Service Dog or not - and KNOWING what my limits are when it comes to how many dogs I can manage in my home.
My friend saw Luna and how amazing she is and wanted one of her own NOW. So yes, despite all of our telling her to take her time and research, she decided on Pollux.
In the beginning everything was fine and as she has been training dogs for years, I figured it was the perfect placement - yes, he might be different that she was used to but challenges teach us, right?
Well, after a while, she decided she was not interested in working with him any longer and he was relegated to a kennel in the back yard.
That is where we came in - I suggested we take him for a while and work with him - FOR A WHILE. I felt responsible for him as I had introduced my friend to the breed and if I could work with him and help him, he could go back to her better off.
So he came into our home and I worked him like we work any of our other dogs - some Service Work, some Schutzhund, some Conformation training, etc.
He has made some huge strides under our care and training and he is an amazing dog - every achievement makes me proud. But Pollux is not our dog, I have all the dogs I can handle on my own. I WISH I had the time, room, etc., to keep him ourselves, but we don't, and it isn't fair to my other dogs, either.
There is a saying here "no good deed goes unpunished" and it's painfully true here - we are trying to do our best by a dog that is not even ours and we are getting attacked for it.
It's not our mess to clean up, but he has fallen into our lap and we want to do what is fair for him.
Fair for him would be a home where his owners have more time than I do to work him through his issues.
At least I will know, personally, where he will go... in someone else's hands, I have no idea where he might be placed.
We are Pollux's foster home - we have plenty of experience being "interim" homes for rescue dogs, so your support would be more appreciated than your criticism. We are trying to improve his home situation - don't you think we feel awful having seen his situation deteriorate? I didn't encourage my friend's interest in the breed in order to create a problem - obviously had I any inkling of what would happen, I wouldn't have helped her find him in the first place... but she likely would've found another one on her own, and becasue I feel I am a steward of the breed, it is my duty to try and help a vlcak in need. So go ahead and criticize me if you want, but ask yourselves what you would do in my place...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 20:14   #42
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Well, sorry you felt attacked. I think some were really trying to help.

I think, for one, that Pollux ought to be fixed and re-homed with whatever nice pet home you can find - anywhere in the US, or anywhere that wants him and can provide for him, really. Can you really not find a nice home for him? He's a young, healthy (I assume), free dog with some basic training behind him. On top of that he's of a rare breed. Maybe put him on Petfinder. I've found nice homes for many 'less desirable' fosters that way, ones of a common breed (or even mix), old, ill health, etc.

I don't think it's especially fair to him to 'hold out' on a new home waiting for one in your area which would be convenient to you, especially since things seem to be getting busy with your other dogs.
Some poeople do seem to want to help but it's the lynch mob mentality others have provided.

As for Pollux, we are going to hold out for the perfect home for him (and that he's perfect for the home). Yes, we've love it if he was local but if the right home pops up and it's not local then so be it. Vlcaks are not an easy breed and many people think they are busy quickly learn otherwise. They need to realzie that it can be a highly energenic breed with even higher stamina (he and Luna will play for hours and hours!). One advantage of him being local is that my wife would still be able to work on him (training) and they could go to our schutzhund club where they know him and we know they concentrate on the dog's development (and not politics).

The home should be willing to work him in schutzhund, even if it is just the play aspect. He loves it and it's been a huge confidence builder for him (and the socalizatrion time doesn't hurt, either). He loves to go to parks where he can run around off a leash (like a dog park) - and he runs fast, faster than many greyhounds we've seen. He loves his people and loves to lie on the couch and cuddle with his people (well, more like like ON TOP of his people, he thinks he's a lot smaller than he actually is). He's michievious (sp?) and knows how to get into trouble so he'll also need a lot of supervision especially in the beginning. He is a lot smarter than he'll lead you to believe, too.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 21:24   #43
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

[
Quote:
QUOTE=tupacs2legs;383246]i guess people are just passionate and protective about the breed,i dont think its personal,your 'friends' imo had money to burn and they bought their latest 'whim' and got bored...then passed the problem on,and sadly its you having to deal with it and what comes with it.

i really hope he finds a home with someone that understands him and that he stays there forever this time....i wish you and him luck in doing this[/QUOTE
draggar

ive highlighted the bits of the post of mine you choose to ignore.....

i am not being judgemental or a 'lynch mob' i even apologised earlier on in this thread,i understand the situation you are in and it doesn't bear thinking about where pollux would be without you.

wont agree with pinch collars though,but as you rightly said thats for another thread
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 22:55   #44
Gypsy Wolf

Pollux will stay with us until the right home is found - I am not "holding out" for a more "convenient" home, but rather a local home to be able to help with his adjustment and training, not to mention the fact that I can't do a home check in Idaho.
My biggest worry is that BECAUSE he is a rare breed - and stunningly gorgeous - he will not necessarily attract the right people. At least if he is relatively local, I can sort of keep an eye out and help as needed, or even take him back... I have visions of approving a home in Idaho only for the people to dump him in their local shelter after a month or two...
And there are very few folks who could do a home check for me in Idaho and be truthful about the nature of the breed - so few people have experience.
He has a place here in our home for now - even though it stretches our ability and I feel badly that he is 1 of 5 dogs instead of 1 of 2 or 3 (he needs to be in a multi-dog home), and he does not lack for attention, love or spoiling (every one of the dogs we have ever boarded or fostered are part of the pack and treated as such). As you have seen - I post his successes such as Schutzhund bitework, etc. I just think we could find him a better home where he would get more than we can give him.
We are in no rush to kick him out - I am very selective with homes - and I will make sure it is the best placement for his success - even if it takes months or years to find... He really is an amazing dog and if we weren't already at our limit, I would say he would stay with us forever, but time and space are limited.
So thank you to all of you who have supported us and understand our situation - certainly not one I would wish on anyone, but as I feel a certain responsibility to the breed and to Pollux himself, I have taken on this situation...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 23:44   #45
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Pollux will stay with us until the right home is found - I am not "holding out" for a more "convenient" home, but rather a local home to be able to help with his adjustment and training, not to mention the fact that I can't do a home check in Idaho.
Well, .. home checks - many breed rescues will do that - to some criticism since it severely limits the area in which they can provide assistance to.. I can also say that I brought my Vlcak without a home check, as well as many others I can probably assume!

In short, I think there IS a perfect home out there for him.. right now, even. You just have to spread your search out.. yes, there are things about Vlcaks that are different than other dogs (like all dogs), but there are also some first-time dog owners here with Vlcaks and doing fine. I think probably it's more a matter of dedication and less a matter of experience ultimately.

I would say as advice, to never limit your options!
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:29   #46
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hi Draggar, thank you very much for your answer about collar. I think, if puppy is "soft", more submissive, not so strong in his mind, so using of this collar is very bad reason. I don´t agree with you.
But I thank you for your answer and explain.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 18:03   #47
Tazer

Good to read you're in no rush and will keep him until the right home is found.

Again good luck finding him his forever home.

Taz
Tazer jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:07   #48
draggar

We have found him a home and it looks like the details have been worked out. An animal wrangler in California contacted us about him (I guess he was in touch with Pollux's breeder who referred us to him).

We confirmed who he is with our talet agent. He lives on 10+ acres of property, has a staff to work with the dogs, and has other dogs that Pollux will be able to run around and play with.

This animal wranger is also migrating from wolf hybrids to vlcaks due to increasingly strict wolf hybrid laws across the USA. APparently he has some big deals in the works to so we'll see if Pollux makes it to the big screen or not.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:14   #49
yukidomari

Congrats to Pollux!

Pollux will be close to his sister? Does California now have the most Vlcaks in the states? Partha and two other Vlcaks are just a bit south of us in San Diego.

There is a Vlcak from Israel here in Los Angeles too, who goes to our same dog park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
APparently he has some big deals in the works to so we'll see if Pollux makes it to the big screen or not.
Hope not! Screen time in the states has never meant well for any breed..

Congratulations again to Pollux!

Do you know if he will be in North California or South California? I think there was a lady interested in meeting a Vlcak in North California, but I don't know of any there.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:16   #50
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
We have found him a home and it looks like the details have been worked out. An animal wrangler in California contacted us about him (I guess he was in touch with Pollux's breeder who referred us to him).

We confirmed who he is with our talet agent. He lives on 10+ acres of property, has a staff to work with the dogs, and has other dogs that Pollux will be able to run around and play with.

This animal wranger is also migrating from wolf hybrids to vlcaks due to increasingly strict wolf hybrid laws across the USA. APparently he has some big deals in the works to so we'll see if Pollux makes it to the big screen or not.
Are you referring to the African-American gentleman (can't remember his name)? I received an inquiry from him a few weeks back (I didn't respond). Are you planning to neuter Pollux - just to 100% prevent him from being mixed?
Old 01-07-2011, 19:19   #51
draggar

I don't know exactly where in CA - my wife worked out all the details.

As for population, I think Americani has quite a few dogs and they're in Texas so it's either TX or CA. I don't know how many BlueSteel has (Nebraska or Oklahoma) and I think Galomy Oak has 3 or 4 vlcaks, maybe one or two more in that state (Virginia).

Screentime for dogs isn't always a bad thing. Bengi brought attention to shelter dogs and got people going to shelters instead of puppy stores.

As for neutering / breeding - I don't think we have to worry about him being fixed. Who here in the USA would help someone like that fake paperwork to get them reigstered? Plus, if both clubs require parent - puppy DNA testing then it should hinder it even more.

Last edited by draggar; 01-07-2011 at 19:21.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:21   #52
yukidomari

Quote:
Screentime for dogs isn't always a bad thing. Bengi brought attention to shelter dogs and got people going to shelters instead of puppy stores.
That's because he's a mixed breed, which you can find in shelters!

Quote:
As for neutering / breeding - I don't think we have to worry about him being fixed. Who here in the USA would help someone like that fake paperwork to get them reigstered? Plus, if both clubs require parent - puppy DNA testing then it should hinder it even more.
Nooo, I think the bigger concern is mixing him with other dogs or wolfdogs, with or without papers. Tons of people don't care about having papered dogs in the states........ or purebred, for that matter.

Last edited by yukidomari; 01-07-2011 at 19:30.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:23   #53
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
That's because he's a mixed breed, which you can find in shelters!
Rin Tin Tin didn't do any bad to German shepherds (the issues today can be traced back to the very late 1970's, early 1980's).

Lassie didn't do any bad to collies.

Both were popular dogs for a while but you didn't see the issues like you did when Disney re-re-re-re-re-released 101 dalmations (yeah, that was bad!).
Old 01-07-2011, 19:29   #54
yukidomari

Quote:
Rin Tin Tin didn't do any bad to German shepherds (the issues today can be traced back to the very late 1970's, early 1980's).

Lassie didn't do any bad to collies.

Both were popular dogs for a while but you didn't see the issues like you did when Disney re-re-re-re-re-released 101 dalmations (yeah, that was bad!).
Maybe people back in the old days when Lassie and Rin Tin Tin was popular had more brains about dogs and didn't find them as disposable. Or just didn't see them as status objects like more people today.

Think about the past, say, 5 most recent movies about dogs, and think about if they did anything good. I can think of Shibas and Akitas (Hachiko - and it was bad for the breeds), as you said 101 Dalmatians - terrible, Beverly Hills Chihuahua... bad.. well, you understand.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:37   #55
draggar

True but those are movies about dogs, Game of Thrones isn't about dogs even though they play a part in it. Also, Lassie and Rin Tin TIn both have had movies out over the past few years and the Rin Tin Tin kennel is still active (and they test for DM!!).

The entire first season of True Blood you saw Sam Merlott turning into a collie, that didn't make people rush out and get one - and the collie was about as important as the wolves in Game of Thrones.

Santa's Little Helper from the Simpsons - I don't think this ever made a rush for greyhounds except maybe from greyhound rescue (and by then they're adults most of the time). (Yes, he's animated but he's still a 20-something year old greyhound now).

The "Buddies" movies - I don't think they made a rush on those puppies either.

The Patriot didn't make a rush on Great Danes, and the same with Buck from Married w/ Children and Brandon the Wonder Dog from Punky Brewster.

There have been plenty of times where movies with dogs (not movies about dogs) and TV shows didn't do a lot of bad about the breed. I'm sure there are many other factors involved. I don't think there is a huge demand for Northern Inuit dogs now (or is there?).
Old 01-07-2011, 19:40   #56
yukidomari

Quote:
There have been plenty of times where movies with dogs (not movies about dogs) and TV shows didn't do a lot of bad about the breed. I'm sure there are many other factors involved. I don't think there is a huge demand for Northern Inuit dogs now (or is there?).
No, because most just assume they're Husky/Mal mixes. And... well there are a million huskies in shelters too.

That Jack Russel from that sitcom made JRTs popular..

Well, good for optimistic thinking, I guess. I should try it sometimes.
Old 01-07-2011, 19:40   #57
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

http://www.scvanimals.com/Home_Page.html

That's the guy that emailed me.

No, my concern would be that he refers to training and sales of trained animals. You say he's moving away from using hybrids (and I honestly know nothing about the man, he could be, hopefully is, a great person!)...I guess I just realize that sometime's people's intentions change? A neuter is a guarantee.

***eh, maybe not sales. Just misinterpreted "provide" and "suppliers" the wrong way, I guess. Just a country girl. Hollywood lingo is foreign to me.

Last edited by GalomyOak; 01-07-2011 at 19:46.
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:40   #58
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
We have found him a home and it looks like the details have been worked out. An animal wrangler in California contacted us about him (I guess he was in touch with Pollux's breeder who referred us to him)..
A wrangler? Do you mean a person who catches stray animals?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 19:54   #59
Priska182
Canadian Member

Quote:

Congratulations! I'm really glad form him
Old 01-07-2011, 20:19   #60
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
A wrangler? Do you mean a person who catches stray animals?
*lol* Well, that could be one definition.

A wrangler in enterainment is someone who manages the animals on set. They're also commonly the lead trainer and handler, too (especially for smaller productions). The three terms (wrangler, trainer, handler) are often interchanged in entertainment, too.