Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 25-02-2010, 21:49   #1
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia
Default puppies tool

Hi all, I think there was a tool here on wolfdog.org that allowed you to make theoretical puppies (pair a dog and a bitch) and see their combined pedigrees and calculate wright coefficient and such things. Anybody knows about it?
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 01:26   #2
Vicky

Are you talking about this?
http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60
Old 26-02-2010, 01:45   #3
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Hi all, I think there was a tool here on wolfdog.org that allowed you to make theoretical puppies (pair a dog and a bitch) and see their combined pedigrees and calculate wright coefficient and such things. Anybody knows about it?
Is it the one where you place the dogs database number where it says xxxx? I have a link to this tool in an old email, I can try to find it for you tomorrow.

Or are you talking about Elf's work?

Marcy
Old 26-02-2010, 01:48   #4
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

I think its this one
http://www.wolfdog.org/php/modules.p...7654&DOG2=2066

But I dont have the link for the main page, where you choice the dogs by the name because I change it direct at the link by copy and paste the database ID of the dogs.
Old 26-02-2010, 03:25   #5
Konrad:)

Send a message via Skype™ to Konrad:)

Here you are:
http://www.wolfdog.org/php/modules/WolfdogDB/dbase.php

this "tool" enables to match a male to a female, to see pedigrees and to calculate Wright's Coefficient of inbreeding.
Old 26-02-2010, 09:26   #6
elf

Hello Sasha,

You can also use this (which gives also AVK etc): http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tcheco...#Mating%20tool

One interesting point is the ability to get a more accurate value of the wright coefficient, for exemple in the exemple gave Paula it gives 8.5937500000%, with the complete formula it gives 11.0303640366% ( http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tcheco...2B2066&depth=5 )

With "Ancestors statistics" you can have some stats on HD and occurence in bonitation code (same exemple): http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tcheco...2B2066&depth=5

Cheers

Last edited by elf; 26-02-2010 at 09:37.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 11:16   #7
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Thanks for all the fast answers!

Elf, that is great that you can use your tool that way, I should read the manuals it seems...
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 09:31   #8
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Am I the only one who can not make it work for some time allready? It still shows the combined pedigree, but not common ancestors

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 22:30   #9
buidelwolf

Hello Vaiva,

For several months I also can no longer use the tool, at least from this Site, which I regret too. I suppose it also has to do with the crash of a hard disk. I assume that this will undoubtedly soon be repaired too.

The tool Elf made available is about simmilar and perhaps even more complete. The only downside of it is that its measurement is is only on a limited number of generations (5). Regarding the COI: the more generations to be measured, the more objectively the outcome as we all know.

Greetings Robbert

Last edited by buidelwolf; 22-09-2010 at 22:33.
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 00:18   #10
mijke

No Vaiva, even for moderators it works the same at this moment!

But I expect everything will work fine in time !

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:16   #11
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Since now the WD tool doesn't work, and the tool Elf linked is only 5 generation, is there any other way to calculate COI for 10 generations, besides by hand?
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53   #12
elf

Quote:
5 generation
Hi,

I the tool I set the limit to 8 generations (the server used is not very efficient that's why I needed to add this limit), value are filled by default to 5 but you can change it from 1 to 8.

A.
Old 10-10-2010, 18:34   #13
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Hi,

I the tool I set the limit to 8 generations (the server used is not very efficient that's why I needed to add this limit), value are filled by default to 5 but you can change it from 1 to 8.

A.
Thank you!!
Old 10-10-2010, 21:59   #14
buidelwolf

The problem of measuring the COI on only a limited number of generations (even on 8 generations), is that most of the large inbreeding effect during the early years, which in particular Rep z Pohranièní stráze has brought, is simply being disregarded. In genetics, the most reliable figures regarding inbreeding are obtained if one measures the COI on as many generations as possible. In that respect it is regrettable that the COI measurement on ALL generations (temporarily?), is no longer possible on wolfdog.

Elf, being a fan of your statistic tool, does it ever get that possibility in the future?

Regards
Old 11-10-2010, 13:48   #15
elf

It would require some optimization but unfortunately I have not much time lately for updates. But I think the best would be to plug the database of this site to a pedigree software (like Pedserve), this would unload some work and provide many features.
Old 11-10-2010, 18:40   #16
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by buidelwolf View Post
The problem of measuring the COI on only a limited number of generations (even on 8 generations), is that most of the large inbreeding effect during the early years, which in particular Rep z Pohranièní stráze has brought, is simply being disregarded.
Yes, that is true, but some of the CW dogs I checked don't have compete pedigrees even in the 8th generation out. I have been reading about COI recently and came across this article. It doesn't talk about CW specifically but rather Australian Shepherds (some lines also don't have complete 10 generation pedigrees yet, like some CWs)..

Here is an excerpt:

"...The usual 3-5 generation pedigree won't give sufficient information for a useful calculation. For Australian Shepherds the author has found 10 generations to be the best indicator. Few Aussies have a complete 10-generation pedigree, so this will give you pretty much all there is to know. While some individual lines of descent may go back 20-30 generations, running the calculation for more than ten does not result in any significant change in the result. Running it for fewer than 10 frequently causes the number to drop, giving an incorrectly optimistic result...

Australian Shepherds are blessed with around 300 founders, so our background inbreeding is very low. However, our breed like most others has experienced historic inbreeding stemming from the choices made by recent generations of breeders who have used one sire more than others or frequently sought the output of a particular kennel. ...Even in working lines there are early sires and kennels whose names occur with considerable frequency."

I don't know if this is because Aussies have a larger foundation group (300), but if pedigrees for CW start to fray at around 8-9 generations back for some dogs, I think that an 8-10 generation COI is probably pretty accurate.

Still, I would like to be able to have the capability for all generations too!

http://www.ashgi.org/articles/breeding_incest.htm

ETA: Oh, wait.. I just reviewed some pedigrees again and the blanks in the 8th generations are those of the founder wolves. So then the question is.. how far back do the known pedigrees of the founding GSDs go?

Last edited by yukidomari; 11-10-2010 at 18:44.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49   #17
buidelwolf

Hello Yukidomari,

Very interesting post!
Quote:
but some of the CW dogs I checked don't have compete pedigrees even in the 8th generation out
All Cvs have a complete pedigree at least to the base. I.e. up to the four wolves and the german shepherds they are crossed with; in some cases, even a limited number of ancestors of the founding German shepherds are included in the family tree. By measuring the COI on all generations I meant all the generations upon this base of the breeding. That is/was the way one could measure the COI on "all generations" with Wolfdog.org until recently.

If you measure the COI of old Cvs (or deceased) over 8 generations (or more), it can happen that you do indeed encounter a number of empty holes in the pedigree, but in any case it is complete upon the base of the breeding project, with exception of the "mixes".

I understand that Wolfdog is busy with adding the pedigrees of German Shepherds all the way to the base of the race; even to the dogs, Max von Stephanitz, the founder of the GSD, used (click here). This will give the measurement of the inbreeding coefficient on “all generations”, as specified above, another dimension of course, but from genetic point of view, it is very interesting.

Quote:
I don't know if this is because Aussies have a larger foundation group (300), but if pedigrees for CW start to fray at around 8-9 generations back for some dogs, I think that an 8-10 generation COI is probably pretty accurate

Partly true, depending on which Cvs you measure. If you measure the inbreeding coefficient of an older Cvs, then yes, as 8-10 generations in this case usually means that you measure all generations (to the base of the Breeding). If you do that for a young Cvs (newborn Cvs) it could mean that one simply disregard most part of the strong inbreeding effect of especially Rep z Pohranièní stráze.

Although we owe our beautiful breed in particular to Rep z Pohranièní stráze, it is unfortunate that large inbreeding with him was committed in an early stage and the initial gene pool quickly narrowed drastically. Therefore all our dogs are very much related to each other by him, with not really opportunities to outcrossing anymore. I don't know the initial breeding situation of the Australian shepherd, but apparently the basis of it consists from about 300 different dogs and the breed was probably not inbred right from such an early stage.This could explain the fact that the outcome of the inbreeding coefficient of 10 generations is not much different from that of more than 10 generations. This makes an important difference with our race, where extensive inbreeding in the beginning was committed. In regard to measurement accuracy, I therefore plead for measuring COI on all generations, at least to the base (> Rep z Pohranièní stráze included), as it was possible until recently. I have every trust is that soon it will be possible again.

Regards

Last edited by buidelwolf; 12-10-2010 at 01:55.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:43   #18
elf

Another point, currently WD calculate the COI assuming the COI of common ancestors is 0 [Sum (1/2)^n1+n2+1], if you're using the complete formula introducing COI of common ancestors [Sum (1/2)^n1+n2+1 * (1+Fa)], you will see that calculating the COI with complete formula on 8 generations gives often a higher value than calculating the COI with troncated formula on full pedigree.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51   #19
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hi Buidelwolf, I have only one small note. Not all our dogs are related to Rep z Pohraniční stráže. We have 8 groups of males, but only 4 are based on him.
Yes, somewhere in mother side can be some Rep (or no) but in breeding we look at father lines.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58   #20
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
Yes, somewhere in mother side can be some Rep (or no) but in breeding we look at father lines.
What I do not quite understand cause the genes of the mother are as strong as the genes of the father and obviously there.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote