Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 26-04-2011, 00:14   #1
IAmLisaP

Default Is the Czechoslovakian wolfdog breed for me?

Hello!
I am very interested in owning a dog of this breed. I was wondering about other owners experience with working with them. I am looking to get another dog (I own a 4 year old 60lb female gsd). How are these dogs with protection work and detection(narcotics, fire arms, and explosives). I recently took a k9 training course and would like to have my own dog to train from the start. I have seen alot of videos on this breed and they seem like goofy, fun dogs. I heard that you can do this training but do not know how often it happens. I want a dog that will be a fun companion and workable. Does this sound like a breed for me?
IAmLisaP jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 06:31   #2
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Dear Lisa you can take contact to Marcy Goldstone, she can tell more about this breed and you can see CSW in real in her home. (lives in Virginai also)
Old 26-04-2011, 06:32   #3
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

same post taked away.

Last edited by *Satu; 26-04-2011 at 06:35. Reason: second time...
*Satu jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 08:20   #4
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmLisaP View Post
Hello!
I am very interested in owning a dog of this breed. I was wondering about other owners experience with working with them. I am looking to get another dog (I own a 4 year old 60lb female gsd). How are these dogs with protection work and detection(narcotics, fire arms, and explosives). I recently took a k9 training course and would like to have my own dog to train from the start. I have seen alot of videos on this breed and they seem like goofy, fun dogs. I heard that you can do this training but do not know how often it happens. I want a dog that will be a fun companion and workable. Does this sound like a breed for me?
Well, for a person, looking for these features in a dog, I would better offer a Belgian, not a wolfdog... Wolfdogs are great dogs, yes, they are trainable, but if "protection work" comes very high in your list, it is not a best breed for you

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 14:42   #5
IAmLisaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Well, for a person, looking for these features in a dog, I would better offer a Belgian, not a wolfdog... Wolfdogs are great dogs, yes, they are trainable, but if "protection work" comes very high in your list, it is not a best breed for you

I have thought about the Belgian malinois. I have worked with several of them.
I just don't think they are the dog for me. They seem to only want to work.
I should of mentioned that my main focus for training is detection and obedience. If i can get one to do some protection work thats just a bonus.
Old 26-04-2011, 19:15   #6
IAmLisaP

lol I didn't explain enough how I feel the malinois behaves I was half awake when I posted the previous post. The malinois seem to only want to work. never want to just be a dog. I have a 4 year old gsd that i have done some work with(she was abused before I adopted her so she never could get her confidence up enough to complete her training). She is a sweet fun girl who loves every one. as soon as she sees her training equipment she knows its time to work. the malinois is always wanting to work, never calms down to just be a house dog. this is why I thought of the wolfdog. I would like a dog who is a great family dog but will get to work when its time. I could just get another gsd but I thought it would be nice to have opportunity work with this unique and amazing breed. But yes I am more focused on doing detection training and obedience. If I can get the pup to do some protection work then that's just a bonus.
Old 26-04-2011, 19:52   #7
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
the malinois is always wanting to work, never calms down to just be a house dog.
Well, a CsV might not always want to work like a Mal, but it doesn't mean that they are calm in between.....
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 21:06   #8
IAmLisaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Well, a CsV might not always want to work like a Mal, but it doesn't mean that they are calm in between.....
That's fine with me! when the dog is not working he or she will be in my very active life. I would take him/her hiking with me, dogparks, I work at a doggie daycare so they would go with me to work. My gsd is Czech working lines so I am used to the whole very high energy levels and I love it!
Old 27-04-2011, 00:48   #9
Murph

I love Belgian malinois' I havent had the opportunity to meet many though. If I wasnt set on a czech I would definitely consider a malinois.
Just how trainable can a cwd be?... I would be happy with an excellent recall and winning very cani-cross I entered!
Murph jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 09:51   #10
Tassle

You better get your running shoes on then Murph

I like Malis - but I think you have to look carefully at the lines, there are some very hard and worky ones out there and there are also ones who are seriously laid back! I have a friend with one and she has had a devil of a job to get it motivated. She panicked I think and almost tried to suppress the drive when it was a pup and it worked a little too well.

I'm afraid I do not know enough about the CsVs to know if you have the same line issues.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 10:05   #11
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
That's fine with me! when the dog is not working he or she will be in my very active life. I would take him/her hiking with me, dogparks, I work at a doggie daycare so they would go with me to work. My gsd is Czech working lines so I am used to the whole very high energy levels and I love it!
Ok, so in this case you should really start thinking about CSV seriously just one thing - CSV might be not too friendly with other dogs. They are dominant and have a very expressive body language, this is why sometimes other breeds (who do not use this body language so much) do not understand them.

Old 27-04-2011, 10:39   #12
jefta
Call Me Sexy Srdcervac

Send a message via Skype™ to jefta Send Message via Gadu Gadu to jefta

In my opinion its not breed for you. Mayby malinois have to much working drive but csv have nearly none. Next problem is motivation-low prey drive and i dont know the word-ofen they dont like eat too much. And next broblem they are rather too shy for k9 training.

Last edited by jefta; 27-04-2011 at 10:41.
jefta jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 10:45   #13
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefta View Post
In my opinion its not breed for you. Mayby malinois have to much working drive but csv have nearly none. Next problem is motivation-low prey drive and i dont know the word-ofen they dont like eat too much. And next broblem they are rather too shy for k9 training.

Ee, what?

Old 27-04-2011, 11:15   #14
Shadowlands

Jefta,

Are you sure you are talking about the CsV? It doesn't sound like any that I have known...
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:22   #15
jefta
Call Me Sexy Srdcervac

I m talking just about that csv with I've seen-mayby 100 or more. I try also to train my csv for sport level. I cant put links here but on Czech forum is topic "trening fotki a videa" where topic author can see they work style. Persent of shy dogs you can see on you tube on movies from shows.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:30   #16
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

csv's dont eat much someone needs to remind Tupac!

and shy for training? are you talking csv or swh?

my Tupac gets very 'switched on' to training and when he is focussing he does it well...the trick is making it short and fun imo.

i am also concerned with the doggy daycare aspect or do you have a separate section for the staff dogs?
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:36   #17
IAmLisaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post

my Tupac gets very 'switched on' to training and when he is focussing he does it well...the trick is making it short and fun imo.

i am also concerned with the doggy daycare aspect or do you have a separate section for the staff dogs?
No we don't. The pup would be with me when I'm in the room. I will ask to always be in the small dog room while he or she is still a baby then once he gets older and goes into the big dog room I will still be with him. The dig day care isn't like most, we are very strict with the play. They can't get to rough and can't bark or run around like mad dogs. It helps reduce the excitement levels to reduce the risks of fights to slum to none. We take like 2 or three dogs at a time outside to run in the yards to get there energy out. it's a very good facility. I have work at some really bad ones where they let the dogs do whatever they want and they always fought.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:37   #18
IAmLisaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post

The rooms are supervised 24/7 btw
Old 27-04-2011, 14:41   #19
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Quote:
No we don't. The pup would be with me when I'm in the room. I will ask to always be in the small dog room while he or she is still a baby then once he gets older and goes into the big dog room I will still be with him. The dig day care isn't like most, we are very strict with the play. They can't get to rough and can't bark or run around like mad dogs. It helps reduce the excitement levels to reduce the risks of fights to slum to none. We take like 2 or three dogs at a time outside to run in the yards to get there energy out. it's a very good facility. I have work at some really bad ones where they let the dogs do whatever they want and they always fought.
i would still worry sorry especially as its mainly an indoor facility.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:01   #20
jefta
Call Me Sexy Srdcervac

About 5 years ago I have dreamed about sucesfull training with this amaizing breed. Before buying I saw hunderds of csv on shows, meetings and training camps. I saw that everything is great only in internet. In real is much worst. I m from Poland not from USA so it was possible to see so much csv from varius coutries, lines etc. I had oportunities to make decision with knowlege all facts. After that I change my plans and I dont espect training sucses, but i decided to buy csv-very nice companion dog for activ people.