Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 14-10-2010, 01:16   #21
Nebelwölfe

Send a message via ICQ to Nebelwölfe Send a message via Skype™ to Nebelwölfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
Are there other companies that do the test? In Europe?
Laboklin (www.laboklin.de) does.

Nebelwölfe jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 15:14   #22
Enid Black

Another result from Italy

Arimminum Rihanana Of Syria

Degenerative Myelopathy - PCR
Result Myelopathy
Result: Genotype: N/N = FREE

Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 16:10   #23
Konrad:)

Send a message via Skype™ to Konrad:)

The first DM result from Poland ( by LABOKLIN) :

EURY z Peronowki
Genotyp N/N = Free
Old 06-12-2010, 20:22   #24
CDaniela
http://www.srdcervac.wbs.

I have test results (Laboklin)

Ave Tajga Arimminum N/N
Anne Lee Srdcerváč N/N
Amore Mio Srdcerváč N/N

CDaniela jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 20:34   #25
buidelwolf

Me too (Laboklin):
Delan van Hiemrod N/N
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 22:44   #26
mijke

More DM test results you can find HERE

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:44   #27
Morian

Send a message via Skype™ to Morian

people, tell me please how do you send blood to germany, is there some special post? stupid question, but i asked at us and all post companies answer that they don't send bio materials
Old 07-12-2010, 13:05   #28
CDaniela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morian View Post
people, tell me please how do you send blood to germany, is there some special post? stupid question, but i asked at us and all post companies answer that they don't send bio materials
I sent a buccal swab (no blood). I used regular mail.

Old 07-12-2010, 13:06   #29
Morian

thanks. i thought they need blood. then it's ok, i'll test my guys and girl too.
ah, i forgot to ask. how much does this test cost?
Old 07-12-2010, 14:12   #30
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
At least our vet can take the sample and send it himself. Of course, for an extra fee So you just need to come to clinics and then wait for the results.

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 14:16   #31
Morian

we have clinic, i only thought that laboklin needs blood. and i still don't know what's the price i'm ready to go right now, but i need to know how much money does it cost. maybe more people from russia will test their dogs.
Old 07-12-2010, 23:41   #32
mijke

Quote:
we have clinic, i only thought that laboklin needs blood. and i still don't know what's the price i'm ready to go right now, but i need to know how much money does it cost. maybe more people from russia will test their dogs.
You are right Laboklin needs 2 ml EDTA blood!

Unfortunately in "dog world" and "breeding world of all kind of animals" a lot of people are cheating with info and pedigrees

That is why we in de past with Laboklin did make specific blood sample forms.
So we could be sure that all the info of CsW's was correct.
The veterinarian has to check the chip or tatoo (comparing with the number on the pedigree) and his to confirm and sign the blood is of that specific dog.

And then the vet has to send the tube with 2 ml EDTA blood (and the form and copy of the pedigree) to Laboklin.
The vet can send this by normal mail with normal stamp (in a common envelop with bubble plastic inside)

But.... like everyone, a lab wants to earn as much money as possible....
That is why Laboklin (like more commercial labs) also accept a swab that is send by an owner (without checking any chip or tatoo number!)
This is a pitty... because then it is possible to cheat

Don't misunderstand me: I don't say that people who did send a swab for DM test are cheating!!
I only try to explain why I think it is trickey to send swabs.

And that is why I prefer (and would like for future) every owner of a CsW to send 2 ml EDTA blood by his veterinarian for DNA tests
Then we always can be sure the results are realy of that CsW.

-----------------------------------------------------------
General info:

A blood sample from for DM test you can Download HERE (in pdf)

How it works and how you can send EDTA blood to Laboklin you can find HERE

The price for DM test is € 66,-

Last updates DM test results: Click HERE

Last updates Dwarfism test results: Click HERE

--------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
Old 07-12-2010, 23:56   #33
Morian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post
You are right Laboklin needs 2 ml EDTA blood!
shiiiiit... i knew... so it's pactically impossible to send blood from us to germany i say, i asked some posts about this and they all answer they they don't send bio materials... there is the only chance if somebody goes to germany... ehh but how muc does this test cost? i must know it, even +/-

ah, sorry, i"ve found the price and i think i must translate this info and publish it on russian forum, aha

Last edited by Morian; 08-12-2010 at 00:06.
Morian jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05   #34
martiou07

Send a message via MSN to martiou07 Send a message via Skype™ to martiou07

on the number of dog tested, the number of carrying dog is relatively important, I think, it would be important indeed in testing…

My dogs more are not tested, but I will do it as soon as possible…

martiou07 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 19:13   #35
CDaniela

The veterinarian has to check the chip or tatoo (comparing with the number on the pedigree) and his to confirm and sign the blood is of that specific dog.
Taking of buccal swab is done in the same way, if the owner is responsible.

Old 08-12-2010, 23:57   #36
Gypsy Wolf

Do we have any informtion on how many of the Affected dogs actually end up developing DM symptoms? Or anyone studying this in the CsV?
Some veterinarians here say that 50% of German Shepherd Dogs are Carriers, 25% Normal and 25% Affected.
Of that 25% that are Affected, not all of them develop DM symptoms. Sometimes something else kills them young (like Gastric Torsion) and the GSD lifespan is not as long as the CsV.
So, if we extrapolate that CsV have similar statistics, shouldn't we see a LOT more symptomatic CsVs?
According to Dr. Clemmons, there are obviously other factors that cause development of DM symptoms - which they are now studying in GSD.
It is entriely possible that the wolf genetics mitigate development of DM symptoms somewhat, or that certain lines have a higher predisposition to developing symptoms - but is anyone collecting the information?
I ask, as here in the US our gene pool is small and given the above statistics, it is not necessarily an option to not breed 2 Carriers - in which case, some Affecteds may be produced. But if the amount of Affecteds that actually develop symptoms is low, than breeding 2 Carriers is an acceptable risk to keep our gene pool healthy.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39   #37
mijke

4 of the 9 by DM test diagnosed DM/DM CsW's have already (or did have) physical problems. (not all affected DM/DM dogs have already the age for appearing physical symtoms)
Besides this, we know 4 very closed family dogs of these DM affected CsW's, that were euthanized based on diagnosed DM with physical problems (without tests results) .
(because we don't have official test results, they are not mentioned in the publication list)

Not all DM/DM dogs get physical problems!
For example the Universities of Bern and Missouri do study and resaerch about devellopping of DM and the appaearence of physical problems.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:49   #38
cpw

Send a message via Yahoo to cpw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
I ask, as here in the US our gene pool is small and given the above statistics, it is not necessarily an option to not breed 2 Carriers - in which case, some Affecteds may be produced. But if the amount of Affecteds that actually develop symptoms is low, than breeding 2 Carriers is an acceptable risk to keep our gene pool healthy.

Sorry but I have to ask. Is there not the option to not breed if all you have is two carriers?

Charles Wilner
cpw jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:26   #39
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Do we have any informtion on how many of the Affected dogs actually end up developing DM symptoms? Or anyone studying this in the CsV?
Some veterinarians here say that 50% of German Shepherd Dogs are Carriers, 25% Normal and 25% Affected.
Of that 25% that are Affected, not all of them develop DM symptoms. Sometimes something else kills them young (like Gastric Torsion) and the GSD lifespan is not as long as the CsV.
So, if we extrapolate that CsV have similar statistics, shouldn't we see a LOT more symptomatic CsVs?
According to Dr. Clemmons, there are obviously other factors that cause development of DM symptoms - which they are now studying in GSD.
It is entriely possible that the wolf genetics mitigate development of DM symptoms somewhat, or that certain lines have a higher predisposition to developing symptoms - but is anyone collecting the information?
That was the reason why we talked Bern into doing a study on our breed.
Nobody knows on any breed at the moment because as far as I can oversee there is no breed where all dogs are tested so you cannot say how many dogs really are DM/DM. The numbers I could find about how many homocygotic carriers will get ill have been around 60 - 75%, though it might be also 100%
But there is a big consense about other things have to drop in or if it follows the human model there might be different forms of DM. In humans there are three different genetic forms and ways of heritage all causing the same symptoms.
We simply don´t know yet and we won´t know the next years.
That makes the research so important and it also makes it very neccessary that as many dogs as possible will get tested and send their blood to the research and keep somebody up to date when the dog gets ill (about everything not only DM!)

Ina

Last edited by michaelundinaeichhorn; 09-12-2010 at 10:00.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 23:12   #40
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Sorry but I have to ask. Is there not the option to not breed if all you have is two carriers?
That is an option, if you have a large population. But if you have only a couple of animals on a continent, then the problems you'll get from inbreeding and bottleneck effects are much bigger than the ones you get by crossing known carriers.

It is a pity that the genetic tests are so expensive still, it would be best if one could test all the puppies, sell the one which are affected to owner who don't plan to breed, and adjust the environment so that the problems that will develop will be less hard or better adjusted for (like with high risk of hip dysplasia you can help by good supplements and targeted exercise).
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote