Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 24-08-2010, 03:10   #1
draggar

Default Hey Americans - be careful with your CsV's!!

http://www.thedogpress.com/SideEffec...0081_staff.asp

There are many other links to this story, just google "Frankfort Humane Society".

In a nutshell, a Shiba Inu was found wandering the streets near Frankfort, KY. AN officer brought her to the animal shelter where they instantly classified her as a coyote and had the officer release her to the wild.

Seriously? How the HELL can you confuse a shiba inu with a coyote? We've had Finnish spitz (very similar breed) and no one ever called them a coyote - some would think they're a fox (or some fox-dog-hybrid (even though that's impossible).

So, if a vlcak gets loose and an animal shelter gets them, I'm sure none would know what a vlcak is, let alone what one looks like would they just classify it as a wolf and instantly kill it or release it into the wild? Would they even check for a microchip?

Seriously, this is extremely frightening!!
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 03:38   #2
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I read that weeks back and it doesn't really make sense. I grew up around Shibas and they don't look like foxes or coyotes, though the one in the article was kind of piebald so not very orange as most Shiba are.

Shiba are in the 20lb range.. what Coyote is 20lbs?

So strange..
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 03:48   #3
rivals

Yeah same here. Someone on another board I frequent posted it. Such a sad story, she was like 11-12 years old too

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
So, if a vlcak gets loose and an animal shelter gets them, I'm sure none would know what a vlcak is, let alone what one looks like would they just classify it as a wolf and instantly kill it or release it into the wild? Would they even check for a microchip?
Sadly for now this is what I expect would happen. I have people come up to me on the street and ask if my Husky is a wolf. Not even hybrid or anything, multiple times people have asked if he's just wolf. I don't want to know what would happen to him if he got out and the person who ended up finding him thought he was a wolf, especially someone with the authority to decide whether or not he could stay at a shelter.

Last edited by rivals; 24-08-2010 at 03:51.
rivals jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 08:01   #4
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

Ahhhhhhhh how can people be so stupid!?!?!?!
I can see someone who doesn't know ANYTHING about dogs MAYBE confusing one for a fox, but a coyote? And the Humane Society!!?? Oh my God this makes me so sad. Poor old Shiba I hope she makes it home safe.

Lot's of people thought my black and white Alaskan Husky was a coyote for some strange reason too and of course every other person I meet asks if my CsV is a wolf and/or a coyote. (Or a fox when he was a puppy!) I always have the same answer: "Uh.. No. He's a dog."

I'd be so scared if he got loose and ended up at a shelter though, I don't know what they'd do. I think different branches have different policy's for 'hybrid's' At the SPCA I worked at we scanned every single animal, no matter how feral or wild for a microchip so I feel safe for that at least. But basically I'll just never let him out of my sight!!
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 08:59   #5
Silvester

Default Nuts ???

This story proves again that human stupidness indeed is endless....

( If it´s really true - it´s hard for me to believe that someone can not see the difference between a shiba inu and a coyote.)
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 11:09   #6
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
I read that weeks back and it doesn't really make sense. I grew up around Shibas and they don't look like foxes or coyotes, though the one in the article was kind of piebald so not very orange as most Shiba are.

Shiba are in the 20lb range.. what Coyote is 20lbs?

So strange..
Our Finnish spitz (and the breeder gets this, too) was often mistaken for a fox or some fox-hybrid. But, they're far more plush than a shiba inu.

As for size, I think coyotes are generally in the 30-45 pound range, I can see a malinois being confused for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivals View Post
Sadly for now this is what I expect would happen. I have people come up to me on the street and ask if my Husky is a wolf. Not even hybrid or anything, multiple times people have asked if he's just wolf. I don't want to know what would happen to him if he got out and the person who ended up finding him thought he was a wolf, especially someone with the authority to decide whether or not he could stay at a shelter.
All the more reason to call every shelter if you can if a dog does get loose, let them know the breed, if it's microchipped, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
I'd be so scared if he got loose and ended up at a shelter though, I don't know what they'd do. I think different branches have different policy's for 'hybrid's' At the SPCA I worked at we scanned every single animal, no matter how feral or wild for a microchip so I feel safe for that at least. But basically I'll just never let him out of my sight!!
It's good to know some shelters scan all animals but there are different scanners and if the shelter doesn't have the $$$ to buy the different scanners or the "all in one" scanner, they may not see the chip. Even if it's the same registry, they still may not see it (one animal was recently euthanized because they missed the microchip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
( If it´s really true - it´s hard for me to believe that someone can not see the difference between a shiba inu and a coyote.)
Just Google the shelter - just on the first page 4 or 5 links were to this story. Too many to be completely fabricated.

Last edited by draggar; 24-08-2010 at 13:00.
Old 24-08-2010, 18:39   #7
TipTop

Isnt it better just let the dog wearing a confortable colar with a small indentifications tag? So if he get loose someone can contact owner by phone?

I choose my friends by the way they treat animals.
TipTop jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 18:47   #8
draggar

All our dogs have collars with tags but they can fall off, get chewed off, etc..
Old 24-08-2010, 19:06   #9
TipTop

All my dogs are microchiped, use a collar with tag, and even with this tag I hand write inside the collar my name and telephone for contact.

I am pretty sure that the collar they use is safe for them and almost impossible to fall of or loose.

Hope I never need to use any of those, but we never know...
Better safe than sorry.

I choose my friends by the way they treat animals.
TipTop jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 19:22   #10
draggar

Yep, almost all of our animals are microchipped (except our two "side of the road cats" and our chickens / quail) but I'm wondering if the shelter thought it was a wild animal if they would even attempt to scan it?

There's no mention in any story if the dog was microchipped or if the shelter attemtped to scan for one.
Old 24-08-2010, 19:34   #11
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Our dogs don't wear collars indoors. There is a risk of getting it caught on fencing, choking, etc so they only wear collars when we are heading out. If they happened to somehow escape, they would not have any collars or tags on, unfortunately.

Ours are microchipped and I can only hope that somebody would scan for them. We have never had a dog escape or get lost, though.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 19:45   #12
Rona
Distinguished Member

In places where our dog might be taken for a wolf, fox, coyot or whatever, she's wearing a silly shiny outfit and a red scarf. Nobody sane would take a dog 'dressed' like this for a wild animal! Plus a chip + engraved tag with phone numbers, naturally.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 23:47   #13
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniakanavle View Post
Ahhhhhhhh how can people be so stupid!?!?!?!
How can people be this stupid >>>

The answer is, they are snaciremA

Sorry, but sometimes you are just tooooooo funny

Ps, I know there are very smart Americans to , Ds.

Very best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 24-08-2010 at 23:55.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 00:11   #14
draggar

Mikael - that's nothing. Search Yahoo answers for when Russia invaded Georgia - do you know how many people thought Russia was invading the USA?

Back to the topic, the shelter could have someone who is trained with dogs and know how to recognize a domestic dog, or at least a BOOK or go to a website.
Old 25-08-2010, 08:35   #15
Silvester

Hmmmm.... yeah, just like i already told yesterday - human stupidness is indeed endless !

Postscriptum : Thank you for your examples, Mikael !
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 16:28   #16
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
Mikael... when Russia invaded Georgia - do you know how many people thought Russia was invading the USA?
Nooo way Do you have any link to it

I like this videos, they make me laugh even on a very bad day

Best regards / Mikael