Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 28-12-2011, 21:01   #1
TimoleonVieta

Default £10000 vet bill UK Insurance

I am new to the forum I wonder if you can help me with a couple of questions.

I will be soon getting a CSV girl, my first one. I have recently learned that good insurance is vital after incurring vet bills of well in excess of £10,000 in a two month period.

Please please I have asked some British breeders by email & had no reply. I have called a couple too, "details come in the puppy pack when we sell a puppy". Great really great! thats so damned helpful.. do you think I should by a puppy from you then so I can get the name of an insurance company in the sodding puppy pack? erm.. no thanks.

So please can someone, breeder, owner or other, who knows if & where to obtain insurance for a CSV in the UK, leave the companies name here for myself & other new owners benefits.

A note for certain breeder, if you read this. People without information like this could end up having to put a puppy/dog down if they cannot afford med treatments without insurance. Season of goodwill & all that, you attitude is a disgrace!

Anyway Hi folks, sorry just had to get it off my chest..
TimoleonVieta jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 23:28   #2
Maddie

because the CsV is not an officially recognised breed yet here in the UK, you can register them as a "GSD cross" with insurance companies. also, if you are looking for a pure CsV, i would do your homework and look more towards European breeders. as *some* breeders of CsV's and their crosses in the UK will sell cross breeds as pure CsV's. in mainland europe, CsV's can be FCI registered with traceable pedigrees therefore you can be a lot more certain of your dogs heritage.

good luck in your search
Maddie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 01:54   #3
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoleonVieta View Post
I am new to the forum I wonder if you can help me with a couple of questions.

I will be soon getting a CSV girl, my first one. I have recently learned that good insurance is vital after incurring vet bills of well in excess of £10,000 in a two month period.

Please please I have asked some British breeders by email & had no reply. I have called a couple too, "details come in the puppy pack when we sell a puppy". Great really great! thats so damned helpful.. do you think I should by a puppy from you then so I can get the name of an insurance company in the sodding puppy pack? erm.. no thanks.

So please can someone, breeder, owner or other, who knows if & where to obtain insurance for a CSV in the UK, leave the companies name here for myself & other new owners benefits.

A note for certain breeder, if you read this. People without information like this could end up having to put a puppy/dog down if they cannot afford med treatments without insurance. Season of goodwill & all that, you attitude is a disgrace!

Anyway Hi folks, sorry just had to get it off my chest..
hi and welcome

hmmmm....i agree fully with what maddie has posted.

may i ask you where you are getting your 'pure' csv from?
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 03:08   #4
TimoleonVieta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
because the CsV is not an officially recognised breed yet here in the UK, you can register them as a "GSD cross" with insurance companies. also, if you are looking for a pure CsV, i would do your homework and look more towards European breeders. as *some* breeders of CsV's and their crosses in the UK will sell cross breeds as pure CsV's. in mainland europe, CsV's can be FCI registered with traceable pedigrees therefore you can be a lot more certain of your dogs heritage.

good luck in your search
Thankyou Maddie, that is a big relief about insurance, this was driving me nuts trying to find an answer to this simple question. Seems perfectly logical now you have said!! Maybe I should use a UK breeder & then I can insure as a heinz 57

I am nobody to judge as I do not know 1% of CSV breeders. I do feel that I am especially attracted to CSV because of the many careful & intelligent guardians of the breeding process in previous decades that have made possible what is today. Surely anybody that messes with a breed like this & crosses for no good reason with no better project in mind, really misses the point of CSV. The same with those that breed a CSV that did not look up to complimenting the breed. I would not buy a marble from this type of person let alone my future companion of many years regardless what country they hail from.

In the little I know, it would be unfair to judge the UK too harshly because the future is not here yet. The CSV has had a lot of problems to overcome just to be here in the UK, so fingers x'd when CSV is better established here then better breeding may happen. If it is not too late already
Old 29-12-2011, 03:11   #5
TimoleonVieta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post
hi and welcome

hmmmm....i agree fully with what maddie has posted.

may i ask you where you are getting your 'pure' csv from?
thankyou

oh & yes you may ask
Old 29-12-2011, 03:53   #6
Maddie

Quote:
Thankyou Maddie, that is a big relief about insurance, this was driving me nuts trying to find an answer to this simple question. Seems perfectly logical now you have said!! Maybe I should use a UK breeder & then I can insure as a heinz 57

I am nobody to judge as I do not know 1% of CSV breeders. I do feel that I am especially attracted to CSV because of the many careful & intelligent guardians of the breeding process in previous decades that have made possible what is today. Surely anybody that messes with a breed like this & crosses for no good reason with no better project in mind, really misses the point of CSV. The same with those that breed a CSV that did not look up to complimenting the breed. I would not buy a marble from this type of person let alone my future companion of many years regardless what country they hail from.

In the little I know, it would be unfair to judge the UK too harshly because the future is not here yet. The CSV has had a lot of problems to overcome just to be here in the UK, so fingers x'd when CSV is better established here then better breeding may happen. If it is not too late already
even if you brought over an FCI registered pup, you could still register it here as a mix for insurance purposes.

have you looked at breeders outside the UK yet? if you havn't i suggest that you compare them to what breeders we have here in the UK. yes i agree, a lot of hard work has gone into this breed to get it where it is today, and having researched this breed for coming upto a year, i am becoming quite adept at being able to see differences between a good breeder who is breeding quality lines for the future of the breed with nothing but the highest standard of breeding stock. and a not so good breeder who is only breeding for the money that lines their pockets and depleting the csv lines with either poor quality stock or mixes.

honest gaurdians of the csv in the UK want nothing more than for this breed to be properly established and protected here. but currently it is in a catch 22 situation, where europe don't want to send pups over incase their quality breeding gets put into mixes and phased out. but in not sending pups over, the UK is left with less quality lines that are not protected anyway, so some breeders see no issue in mixing them anyway unfortunately.

by how you spoke about your breeder not helping you out with information on insurance, it sounds as though this breeder is not breeding for the safety and betterment of this breed in the UK. if you were to contact a good breeder, you would be grilled for a long time, and would be on hand for you 24/7 if you were genuine about owning one of their pups and had either a worry or an issue. good breeders care about the pups they create, and want to have as much contact as possible with owners to make sure that the owners know what to expect and that support is there for you if required. btw this is just my take on what you have said, please feel free to correct me if i am off the mark.

if you dont mind, could you message me the kennel name where you are thinking of buying this pup?
Old 29-12-2011, 05:06   #7
TimoleonVieta

Firstly Maddie please let me correct something I may have misconstrued. The only breeders I have asked about UK insurance for CSV are UK breeders as I thought this best & most logical. So when I refer to the answer earlier I received on insurance please be aware this is not the breeder of my puppy! Just was angry because I thought people could be more helpful to others in their orbit.

My CSV will come from a highly devoted breeder outside of the UK, the breeder continues to help me every step of the way & I know very well I could not be in better hands. Please be assured on this.

I do not want to discuss the dogs name nor the breeders with anyone, but I have researched breeders better than I have researched the CSV & found the one whom I feel the safest with. I would not deal any other way

I use the forum because it helps with language barriers & for getting different opinions, like yours which I have found helpful This does not mean I have not been well informed to date.

Yes Maddie what a tricky situation that catch 22 is. But like I said, there have been difficulties here in the UK that may have put many good breeders off?

Perhaps if the future breeder that has a heart for the CSV tries hard, then where there is a good will there will be a way. Breeders here in the UK should pay attention to what potential CSV owners want. That should be commitment, understanding good communication & above all a well bred & pure CSV.

To take the breed in vain? is it for you to do that? How stupid will you feel as a breeder when you have bitten off the hand that feeds you?

Last edited by TimoleonVieta; 29-12-2011 at 05:27.
Old 29-12-2011, 12:08   #8
Maddie

Quote:

Yes Maddie what a tricky situation that catch 22 is. But like I said, there have been difficulties here in the UK that may have put many good breeders off?

Perhaps if the future breeder that has a heart for the CSV tries hard, then where there is a good will there will be a way. Breeders here in the UK should pay attention to what potential CSV owners want. That should be commitment, understanding good communication & above all a well bred & pure CSV.

To take the breed in vain? is it for you to do that? How stupid will you feel as a breeder when you have bitten off the hand that feeds you?
yes there have been difficulties here, and in some cases continues to be unfortunately. the problem lies that there are people here who care for the csv, but because we have this bad reputation as a country who prefers to mix, it makes life difficult for the genuine ones because breeders do not want to import fearing for the pups (and the hard work they put into them!) they send.

i think we all hope that in time these barriers will break down, and a new generation of honest breeders here in the UK will shine through in time to save the csv here.

good luck with your pup i hope you will post pictures!
Old 30-12-2011, 01:12   #9
TimoleonVieta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie View Post

i think we all hope that in time these barriers will break down, and a new generation of honest breeders here in the UK will shine through in time to save the csv here.

good luck with your pup i hope you will post pictures!
Amen to that!
Old 02-01-2012, 14:15   #10
Aranwen

Smile

Quote:
Firstly Maddie please let me correct something I may have misconstrued. The only breeders I have asked about UK insurance for CSV are UK breeders as I thought this best & most logical. So when I refer to the answer earlier I received on insurance please be aware this is not the breeder of my puppy! Just was angry because I thought people could be more helpful to others in their orbit.

My CSV will come from a highly devoted breeder outside of the UK, the breeder continues to help me every step of the way & I know very well I could not be in better hands. Please be assured on this.

I do not want to discuss the dogs name nor the breeders with anyone, but I have researched breeders better than I have researched the CSV & found the one whom I feel the safest with. I would not deal any other way

I use the forum because it helps with language barriers & for getting different opinions, like yours which I have found helpful This does not mean I have not been well informed to date.

I am in a similar situation to you and am considering calling my new boy a GSD/husky cross for insurance purposes only. ( If I decide to insure him ) I just don't like the dishonesty of lying to my vet....
There is a future for this breed in the UK, best of luck
Aranwen jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 14:43   #11
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranwen View Post
I am in a similar situation to you and am considering calling my new boy a GSD/husky cross for insurance purposes only. ( If I decide to insure him ) I just don't like the dishonesty of lying to my vet....
i am a vn by trade... u dont need to lie to your vet(tell them what your pup is),if u say he is a gsd cross on the 'records' u are not technically lying, as they are not 'recognised' here putting csv on the records is the same as saying your dog is a lesser spotted gruffalo...it means nowt,the insurance companys have not reviewed there policys when defra changed their rules.

Last edited by tupacs2legs; 03-01-2012 at 14:46.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 18:15   #12
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranwen View Post
Have to agree with Tupacs2legs, I'm not an insurance expert but you can be sure that they always look for any excuse not to pay out, lying to them would seem to give them a pretty big excuse. I'm sure GSD cross would be fine at least until the breed is recognised in the UK, it's not lying & your dog is legal after all (at least as far as DEFRA is concerned).
Baz jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54   #13
Aranwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Have to agree with Tupacs2legs, I'm not an insurance expert but you can be sure that they always look for any excuse not to pay out, lying to them would seem to give them a pretty big excuse. I'm sure GSD cross would be fine at least until the breed is recognised in the UK, it's not lying & your dog is legal after all (at least as far as DEFRA is concerned).
Agreed. Thanks both of you
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55   #14
Aranwen

Thanks both of you, I agree