Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 11-11-2004, 20:50   #1
natbot89

Send a message via AIM to natbot89
Default PRICES OF WOLFDOGS

Hello! I'm from New York and new to this website. what is a good pricerange for a Czech Wolfdog puppy? does anyone know the approximate cost of shipping one from Europe to the USA?

Natasha
natbot89 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 21:59   #2
Koos

Hello Natascha,

The prices for the puppy's are different. It is between Euro 850,-- and Euro 1200,--. It depends where it is coming from (country and breeder) and what the parents are. (Champions or not).

The costs to the USA are also different between the several Airlines and if it is a direct flight or not. About Euro 600,-- with mostly all the facilities, like taxes and insurance and, and, and.
It also depends of the weight of te dog.

I hope, I have infirmed you enough till now and greetings,

Letty from Holland
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 22:10   #3
natbot89

Thanks Letty!
Old 14-11-2004, 01:12   #4
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

I´d like to correct these prices a bit. It definatelly doesn´t start at 850 Euro for a puppy. Many breeders in the country of origin, ie Czech Republic, for example, sell puppy starting 500 Euro and up. It doesn´t automatically mean, that those puppies are bad or not matching the standard. The idea of the breeders is to make the puppies available to all people, and not only the rich one´s. It is more important to sell the puppy to the right hands, than to make big money on the litter.

Mirka
Mirkawolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 04:46   #5
natbot89

i agree with that
thanks
Old 14-11-2004, 14:36   #6
Koos

Hello,

I agree with Mirka but there is a difference. Mirka you also coming from Czech Republique. I know that there the puppy's are cheaper also from Slowakia.
But we are living here in the Westpart of Europe and not in Czech Republique or Slowakia where a lot of things are much, much more expensive than over there. You are living in the neaberhood of Bruxelles and I think, you will know that now after about two years.
So I have written that of the opinion of Westeurope people and not from Czech Republique or Slowakia vision.

Of course breeders are happy to sell their puppy's to the right persons and they hope, that these puppy's will stay their long lifes to these people and I think that will every breeder because, we will let them mate and we will let them get puppy'. So it are a kind of Children from us and we will do our utmost for them and we are worrying about them.

But thinking about registration of the pedigrees, veterinarian visit(s) and injections and feeding, that is no doubt, a lot more expensive then over there.
And what also a great difference is, is the salary of the people between here (Westeurope) and there (Czech rep. and Slowakia)

When you say, that the Czech people and also the Slowakians, will that the puppy's are available for everyone, then is Euro 500,-- a lot of money for people over there, but in the eyes of Westeuropian people it is very cheap.

I hope, that you will understand me and that you are not angry. The prices are given from Westeuropian view and not fron Czech of Slowankian view.

Greetings,

Letty
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 17:30   #7
michaelundinaeichhorn

The prices for puppybuyers that are not from countries of origin but buy there are much higher than for puppybuyers that live there or come from there. For Slowakians the prices are about 200-300 €, for Westerneuropeans they are about 600 - 800 €. For me that´s allright, because as Letty wrote the salarys in our countries are so much higher.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 17:44   #8
Mirkawolf

Hello Letty,

I am not angry at you at all. I understand how you meant it with the prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoosLetydeGraaff
Hello,

I agree with Mirka but there is a difference. Mirka you also coming from Czech Republique. I know that there the puppy's are cheaper also from Slowakia.
But we are living here in the Westpart of Europe and not in Czech Republique or Slowakia where a lot of things are much, much more expensive than over there. You are living in the neaberhood of Bruxelles and I think, you will know that now after about two years.
So I have written that of the opinion of Westeurope people and not from Czech Republique or Slowakia vision. Letty
But I think, the question was not about opinions, but simply about prices of the puppies. And so I think it is only fair to give information, that in different countries the puppies cost different amount of money. Especially if the questionner is American and thus not fixed to a particular European country.

If I´d speak about opinions, I could say that we people in Czech republic think that 1000 Euro or more for a puppy wolfdog is too much. But then again, I agree I do not know yet the costs of pedigrees and other things for example here in Belgium. However, breeders in Czech republic also must count with costs of export pedigrees, vaccinations, anti-worm treatments and other things. The usuall practise in Czech republic is to have two prices - one in crowns, which is lower, and second in Euro for the foreign buyers, so that it is more close to their ideas of puppy price. But still I´d feel bad myself asking 800 Euro for a puppy

Mirka
Old 14-11-2004, 20:01   #9
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki

I fully agreee with Mirka. I will say even more: Wolfdogs are one of the few breeds were the price of a puppy do not depend on the quality of the puppies. It depends only on two things:

- the country of origin of the breeder.
You can buy a good quality puppy for 400 EUR (Slovakia), 600 (Czech Republic), 800 EUR (Italy, France), 950 EUR (Germany) to.....even 2500 EUR (I will write about it later). Sure many things are cheaper if you are living in CZ or SK, or PL. But only if we are talking about "basic costs": accomodation, registration and veterinary fees aso. So there is really huge difference if we talk about "ordinary" breeders. Under the concept of "ordinary breeder" I mean someone who is just breeding (or I should better say: 'producing') Wolfdogs - using low or average quality dogs, without any "bonus" points: (feeding of low/average quality food), covering by their own males without paying attention to quality of the stud dog, without showing or training their dogs. If we are talking about such breeders than there is really a HUGE difference. But....

.... if we will compare the costs of "true" breeders: which visit many dog shows, many competitions, if we talk about people which we can see during the summer camps, which come with their dogs to the most important dog shows in the origin countries, if we talk about breeders which cover their bitches abroad with the best males available than there is really no difference if we talk about the costs of breeding.

So to be honest the price depends from the country of origin of the breeder but it should not be the case. Because in many cases there is no explanation for it. My friends breed also a rare breed of dogs. Last time they were looking for a new puppy and the buyied one for 1000 EUR in West Europe. Normal, right?
But....the parrents of the puppy have great pedigree, they are Interchampions with many, many titles, HD-free, with many other veterynary checks. The breeder is very well known.
Next case: some time ago I was looking for a German Shepherd Dog for my friends (my work was to translate the emails). They decided to buy a puppy from one of the most famous GSD breeders in Germany. Father of the puppies is now one of the best GSDs, mother have also some titles and some working exams. Both of course HD-free, aso.. The litter had a very low "HD-Zuchtwert". And they paid 600EUR for the puppy....

Now my question: why some breeders from West Europe ask for a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog puppy about 1000 EUR if there is really no explanation for it? If the parents are (sometimes even) low quality, witouth any show results (and working exams, blah), sometimes even both not HD-free or without any HD-results. Why they ask so much if they make "home businness" - the dogs are kept in kennels like domestic animals and they breed them like domestic animals.

I think the situation is a little bit sick because someone who is looking for a good puppy only basing on the price he will have very bad surprise....

- the breeder's high opinion about himself.
Even in one country there are huge differences between the breeders. And here again: in many cases there is no explanation for it. Anyway not in quality of the parents of a litter or quality of ther puppies. Examples: in Czech Republic you can buy a great puppy from a very interesting female which almost quarantee very good quality puppies for 600 EUR. But for 800 EUR you will also get a puppy from poor quality dogs. In France you can have very nice puppy for 800 EUR but for German Shepherd Dog looking CzW you will have to pay...1000 EUR. In Italy you can buy a great puppy from a bitch which was covered in Slovakia by a very nice stud dog and you will pay for it 800 EUR but you can also buy a low or at last average quality puppy for 1500 EUR only because the breeder is a good salesman. And the best: I heard about the case that a breeder asked in Italy 2500 EUR for a usual puppy of a dog which was disqualified on the bonitation because of character faults and only because the interested person said, she is interested in breeding with the puppy.

So in the end: I know the puppies in West Europe are averrage more expensive. I know it is impossible that a puppy can costs in some countries 500 EUR. I know there are litters which are really worth 1000EUR. But in the most cases the breeders are asking too much and the buyers simple pay too much.....

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2004, 20:36   #10
Wolfsirius

My opinion is, that Puppy price has to compared in "basic" livin level and dog price on each country.

-Suski
-Suski-
Wolfsirius jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 18:05   #11
mijke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo

Now my question: why some breeders from West Europe ask for a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog puppy about 1000 EUR if there is really no explanation for it? .....

But in the most cases the breeders are asking too much and the buyers simple pay too much.....
And I only can agree with this!

In West Europe it is a kind of "price race" for pets! And when buyers want to pay huge prices for a pup or a kitten, most of the breeders will ask more the next year
And even several dogclubs give every year a higher price advise! (in some clubs it is every year 100 euro higher )

And I am not only speeking about CsWpups. But when you look on internet you can find in Holland pups of several breeds for more then 1000 euro and what to think of a price for a kitten for 2000 euro?
(And I can't immagine that a breeder has so many costs for a litter of kittens)

Mijke

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 07:44   #12
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Hi people,
I think, that whole discussion about prices is nice but without sense. As you can read here, the prices are very very different between 200-2500 EUR. Simply say, the people, which looking for some puppy must choice like by everything in the life. Must compare quality of puppies, quality of breeder, quality of servis, which is from breeder offered, transport costs etc. This all things (and many more) must compare which offered price.
Every breeder have own "strategy" and every have own condition and prices. And simply say - try to discuss in good shop about price with argument, that on street market is cheaper !!! One of my friends explain me one typical story, which "speaks from my heart" as well :
Breeder get a call from a man, who interesting about puppy. This man asking about price (dont laugh, breeders, please, we know very good, that in many times is it first and only one interess by such people ). Breeder inform about his price and man said, that will call later again. After 1 week calling again and ask, if breeder have still some puppy ? When get positive answer ask again about the price. Get the same info, like week before. And the reaction was wery typicaly for such people - "... its incredible expensive, I called to other breeder and he have puppies 50% cheaper ...!!!". Answer of my friend was absolutely top - "... then I dont understand, why you call to me and why you say it to me ? Go to the other breeder and buy the puppy there. For me have my puppies this value. If somebody feel, that his puppies have 50% value of my, then its his problem. Thank you for calling and goodbye.".
I must say, that I dont speak with such people as well. If somebody call me and first asking about the price, then I loose interest about such man. I know, that speaking about prices and money is very sensitive thema, but simply say - market is market and if you feel it or not, breeding is some kind of "production" as well. If somebody will buying puppy for 5.000 EUR and found enought people, which are ready to pay it - very good. I see not problem in high prices, but by the "breeders" who selling puppies extremely cheap. In 99% are such "breeders" people, who want only sell and dont want never more hear about the puppies. Its my experience.
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 11:33   #13
Wolfsirius

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, PAVEL!
What you just wrote, is more than a truth!

-Suski
-Suski-
Wolfsirius jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 15:54   #14
Mirkawolf

I totally disagree with you, Pavel. Breeding puppies is not "production", at least for me. If I have puppies, I have them for fun and not for my own profit. There are certainly easier ways how to make money, than to run around puppies for several weeks.
Also, I was never selling puppies for high prices, though I keep contact with all my puppy owners all the time. I do care where my puppies go and I do care, to who I am selling.
Comming to western Europe, maybe you would be surprised to find out, how many people here breed puppies and sell them for high prices, and do not care at all, where they go and how they do ... Not to mention that the quality of the puppies and their parents is often not so great either, but who cares about it? That I call the production.

Mirka
Old 16-11-2004, 16:21   #15
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkawolf1
I totally disagree with you, Pavel. Breeding puppies is not "production", at least for me.
You dont understand me well. I dont mean production like a goods for comsuption. I mean, that breeding need the similary conditions, similary marketing, similary strategy etc. Good breeder must have good marketing for own breed. Must have a strategy plan for breeding and strategy, how to choice the right owners for puppies. And such similarities is more. In this sense I mean, that breeding is kind of "production".
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 17:04   #16
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

Ciao,
just a comment form Italy about prices.
You can surely find a puppy from "normal" parents at 800-1.000 euros.
Not many people are "into" the correct wolfdog breed thinking so they don't ask for Bontiation or HD free etc.
Most only ask for son of champion (which means almost nothing...)
In Italy there are many many buyers.
In Italy "wolves" are very fascinating (like in other countries) so many people love to think to have something like a wolf in their living room...
I was like this at the beginning, I must confess. Who knows me knows that today I have changed (mostly thanks to this and other sites).

If more people knew about the breed, surely prices would be lower for some parents and higher for others...just like in germany for German Shepards.

Some breeders sell at 1.000-1500 euros (the 2 most important ones in italy...).
Good salesman can sell one of his dogs at 2.500 euro like Margo said.

Don't forget that in slovakia you can buy a good puppy for 250 euros, but if you are not slovakian price can be double (500!!).
Similar is the situation in Czech I believe.

Of course the price of a puppy depends on the country were you come from mainly.
It costs surely more to grow up a dog in Italy than in Slovakia.
Vet and food costs, objects for the dog, money to pay for destroyed objects (...), travelling to slovakia for summer camps
Also dog shows: I pay 30 euros in italy for a dog show (average)

Example: In slovakia I bought a muzzle, those very good metal ones, for 750 sk (around 3.5 Euros).
In Italy I bought a very bad cloth one for 10 euros
Ciao again
Massimo
Old 16-11-2004, 21:44   #17
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
Simply say, the people, which looking for some puppy must choice like by everything in the life. Must compare quality of puppies, quality of breeder, quality of servis, which is from breeder offered, transport costs etc. This all things (and many more) must compare which offered price.
I fully agree with it. If someone is buying a puppy only basing on the price or only basing on the words of the breeder ("I'm the best", "I have the best dogs") than he will be bad surprised in the future....

Quote:
Breeder get a call from a man, who interesting about puppy. This man asking about price (dont laugh, breeders, please, we know very good, that in many times is it first and only one interess by such people ).
For me if someone is interested only in the price of the puppy such person get automatically disqualification as a future owner of one of our puppies....

...but on the other hand I still have my first emails when I was looking for a puppy. I keep them as forewarning to me that sometimes future CzW-freak writes stupid emails in the beginning...

Quote:
If somebody will buying puppy for 5.000 EUR and found enought people, which are ready to pay it - very good.
That's right. If there are enough people - no problem. Setting high prices do not guarantee that the puppies will find good homes. But if a breeder is able to ask such price and in the same time find good buyers - also no problems.

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 01:25   #18
ligerwolve

I'd just like to say that when I first started looking at pups that was the first question I asked. How much? Not because money is everything, but because like someone from America I would also have to consider importing fee's and my own travel (as I would prefer to meet the breeder) which are all very expensive. 500euro may seem cheap, but change that to Australian dollars and add fee's thats about $1500 for dog and $12000 for travel ect. Trust me thats a lot of money. So if I had someone ask me about the cost first I would also consider their cercumstance because I think it says alot for a person who is willing to use their life savings to have one of these dogs. I am changing jobs just so I can afford all of this and so I can spend all my time with the dog. It still might take 4 years before I can get one. Is that not a testimate to someones love of the breed?
ligerwolve jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2004, 14:09   #19
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

Ligerwolve,
For me it was exactly the same, I asked the breeder who sold me Oliver that I wanted a dog not for shows or for breeding but just to lye on my sofa...
I wanted a "cheap" dog maybe with a "defect" and not 100% standard.(I wanted to spend around 700 euros)
After 1 month waiting, no cheap dog was available so I bought a "litter left over" for 950 Euro.
Yes, a left over, the last of the litter.
My ignorance before is siimilar to the ignorance of many other people today. Only good info (like this site, I repeat) can change it.
Do not ask me if I am happy of my left over, I might bite you!
Massimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerwolve
I'd just like to say that when I first started looking at pups that was the first question I asked. How much? Not because money is everything, but because like someone from America I would also have to consider importing fee's and my own travel (as I would prefer to meet the breeder) which are all very expensive. 500euro may seem cheap, but change that to Australian dollars and add fee's thats about $1500 for dog and $12000 for travel ect. Trust me thats a lot of money. So if I had someone ask me about the cost first I would also consider their cercumstance because I think it says alot for a person who is willing to use their life savings to have one of these dogs. I am changing jobs just so I can afford all of this and so I can spend all my time with the dog. It still might take 4 years before I can get one. Is that not a testimate to someones love of the breed?
Old 18-11-2004, 17:21   #20
Falco_crying_Wolf

I don´t think you can compare the prices of different countries that directly. As it was said before prices of living differ a lot and as ist is just discussed on the German site the puppies in Germany have to stay with their breeder until they are 8 weeks of age. That normally means they have to be fed for 2-3 mor weeks, are vaccinated the first time, have a microchip. If you compare the prices then they are almost the same like the prices in the countries of origin for Westerneuropeans.
For a purebred dog in Germany that is of a breed that doesn´t have problems to find puppybuyers (like German Shepherds do) 950,-- Euros is considered quite cheap.

Ina
Falco_crying_Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote