Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Meetings and travels

Meetings and travels Huge and small - oficial and private... How and where travel with your CzW...

Old 13-03-2008, 15:33   #41
johnslawek

Default Meeting of USA Wolfdogs

Hello, This is an update for all concerned. Kindly let me know your thoughts.
John Slawek

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 6:57 pm
Subject: Re: John Slawek-Jake/Sophie

Hi John,

So nice to hear from you! I might know of a perfect location for your group. It is a private 70 acre farm & is just about 10 minutes down rt 7 from 81 in Berryville, VA. This place is actually an active sheepherding (training facility) and the owner is a Judge for the American Herding Breed Association. She holds lots of canine events and may even be able to offer your people/dogs a Herding Instinct Test if you are interested. This is the route I took a few years back in my efforts to obtain official AHBA recognition for the Shiloh breed. I also teach obedience classes there on weekends during the warmer months. The farm has several fenced in fields which would be ideal to allow the dogs to run free & socialize safely.
Let me know if this sounds like what you need and I will email the owner for you.

Audrey

Quoting [email protected]:

> Hi Audrey,
> There are about six Sophie's in the States. Five are trying to > arrange a meeting in Virginia somewhere this summer. Can you offer > me any suggestions? As you have once met Sophie, you know she is > different. Imagine five together. We are seeking a locale along I-81 > and a motel that accomodates dogs, and a field for a picnic to get > acquainted where the dogs can run free.
> Thanks for any help,
> John
>
>

Last edited by Nebulosa; 15-03-2008 at 20:04. Reason: text colors ;)
johnslawek jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 17:13   #42
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

That sounds fabulous John! Thank you very much! The email at Galomy Oak works fine, by the way. It is our "under construction" new website. I am quite curious what Anthea might think of sheep! She is very fascinated by cats, and has enjoyed trying to "herd" the migrating Canadian geese that are all over the place right now, though she didn't seem to like it when they talked back to her. You can definitely count us in!

Marcy
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 17:25   #43
roo

Sounds Great! Thanks John.
roo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 18:52   #44
Kat

Sounds like an excellent plan!!! You can definitly count us in!!!!
Kat jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 17:21   #45
cpw

Send a message via Yahoo to cpw

Count us in also.
charles
cpw jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:23   #46
wolfdogs16

thats within 2 hrs of me....... if I am invited.
http://www.wrr-inc.org
wolfdogs16 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 23:05   #47
GalomyOak
Howling Member

This weekend was a very exciting one in Wintergreen, Virginia (east coast of the US). For the first time, there was a gathering of CSVs in the US. We were very graciously hosted by John Slawek and Sophie (Frida Crying Wolf), and our playground was the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. A total of 6 CSVs attended. It was a fun and meaningful time!

As soon as I have permission from other owners, I will post photos on our website.

I have been trying to figure out what CSVs are in the US - these are the ones I have found in the database:

Melusine Eden Severu
Quad Eden Severu
Elek of Mercedes Dream
Ana'Be de l'Ame des Loups
Wolfen Loki
Bora od Starkej
Polo od Uhoste

Hera Oskar Dor
Anthea od Vlci Skaly
Hronsek Taabernakkelin
Hulin Taabernakkelin
Frida Crying Wolf
Brix od Starkej

Does anyone know of other dogs in the US?

Old 03-07-2008, 14:06   #48
jasmine

I have got it from John : http://www.symbolicmessengers.com/wolves.htm
I'm sure he won't mind if I make it for public.

Edit
jasmine jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:26   #49
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine View Post
I have got it from John : http://www.symbolicmessengers.com/wolves.htm
I'm sure he won't mind if I make it for public.

Edit
Here are some more photos from our meeting!

http://galomyoak.com/Wintergreen2008page1.html
http://galomyoak.com/Wintergreen2008page2.html
http://galomyoak.com/Wintergreen2008page3.html
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51   #50
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

Goodness!! I have been so out of the loop for years now! I've been so scattered, moving around, internet-less etc and didn't even realize the US CsV meeting actually happened! I thought it was a far fetched dream when I first heard it mentioned years ago and I am so bummed out I missed it!
Is there another reunion in the works? I would love to actually attend and am more than willing to drive/fly any distance/state since I'm still 'way out west' in California.
The 2008 meeting looked so fun lets do it again! I realize 2009 is almost over so it's not an annual thing )yet), but maybe next spring/summer 2010?? (Or anytime of year works for me. Wolfdogs love snow too! )
I would love to be around other CsV's and I think my crazy boy might be calming down with age [he will be 5 years old this month!] and ready to make some new wolfy friends that can keep up with him!
It looks like everyone had fun and that it was a successful meeting in 08 so if y'all have plans to meet up again somewhere count me in as 'confirmed' already!!!

Would love to hear some feedback thanks!!
~Sonia Kanavle and Loki Wolfen
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 14:52   #51
GalomyOak
Howling Member

It was a lot of fun! I am entirely up for meeting again!

Unfortunately, John Slawek (owner of Frida Crying Wolf "Sophie"), passed away last year.

As of this year, we have some new owners in the US, so maybe the group will grow. Hopefully in February, I will "create" some new owners too. I'd tried last summer after the meeting to pull us together a little bit more, but it's been a busy year, and I've gotten a little sidetracked with some other things in my life. For anyone that is interested, I am pretty sure I will be attending the UKC Premier in June (Kalamazoo, MI) - with 4-5 wolfdogs. I don't know too much about Michigan, but I'm sure there are interesting things to do - and it has to have cooler weather than sultry Virginia in June.

I am a teacher, and personally, my vacations are limited to certain times of year.

Either way, I'd love to see all good friends at some point - old and new!
Marcy
Old 09-11-2009, 20:16   #52
soniakanavle

Oh, I'm sorry to hear, my thoughts go out to John and Sophie.

Congratulations on your upcoming litter Marcy!
My pup was from that "one litter born in Canada a few years back" [I looked up your website haha] but it's good to see the breed growing and getting fans here in the US and it's great that we're at the ground level and able to meet each other face to face and help the breed and maybe start up a breed club? Is that still in the works? I'd love to be a part of it.

Meeting up at the UKC premier would be awesome! I've been to Michigan once and it was realllly cold but that was in January I'm sure it's nicer in June!
I'd love to see a CsV in the ring and meet other owners and be able to talk and relate to each other about our amazing breed!
Loki is my best friend and the love of my life and I'm so lucky to have him and I'm sure y'all feel the same about your doggies!

Hope this works out and you can count me in!
~Sonia
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42   #53
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Sonia,

I'll keep you posted from my end about meeting up - and try to "rally the troops" with the other owners. Loki is pretty closely related to my upcoming litter. And yes, I love them all dearly! There really is nothing like a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog! I'd love to see a breed club get up and going in the US - I don't know if we have the manpower yet; all of the owners are pretty spread apart, and just a few are (or will be soon) actively involved with conformation, trialing, etc. It's important; more and more dogs are getting imported, and with popularity comes problems, unfortunately. A club that is connected with the registries to provide guidance above and support to owners is a big step to addressing those issues.

I'll email you privately sometime in the next week (things are a bit hectic at the moment) with some more info about my thoughts on a club.

Take care!
Marcy
Old 21-11-2009, 05:05   #54
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Apparently, the UKC has changed their Premier location this year. I will be headed to Richmond, Indiana (same town my mom was born in, maybe it's a hopeful sign?), not Kalamazoo, on July 8-11. Haha, right now my dogs are #1 and 2 in the UKC for the Top 10...but they are the only CSVs in the country showing. Hopefully we will have some friendly competition in the not too distant future!

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/W.../DEPREMIER2010

Lafayette, IN is a little over a 2 hour drive from Richmond. It is home to "Wolf Park" (a really good organization that does education on wolves, and also the realities of hybrid ownership). They are having a seminar on July 10, 2010 about the differences and similarities in wolf and dog behavior, and also wolfxdog behavior (yes, I know our breed is not a hybrid, I just think the topic is very interesting). The cost of the seminar is $195. If we could arrange a definite group of people for this summer, I would be happy to contact Wolf Park to see if they could accomodate a visit from some CSV owners.

http://wolfpark.org/seminars.html

All the best,
Marcy

Last edited by GalomyOak; 21-11-2009 at 14:07.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:16   #55
soniakanavle

Hey Marcy!
Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you. Indiana sounds fine haha!
I have friends and family in the mid/north west I've been meaning to visit and I'm long overdue for a good roadtrip adventure.
The Wolf Park seminar sounds great as well!! [The website says it's on July 11th] I've heard about them before and wanted to go. So that's a YES for me [and Loki hehe.]
Sounds like an all around good time and since it looks like our CsVs are gonna get popular here in the US it'll be a good opportunity for people interested in them to come take a first hand look at our dogs and to learn more about them to see if they're the right [or very wrong] breed for them.

Can't wait!!
~Sonia & Loki
Old 04-12-2009, 02:48   #56
GalomyOak
Howling Member

It will be awesome to meet you guys! After the holidays, I will try and get in touch with Wolf Park. Summer seems oh so far away.

Marcy
Old 04-12-2009, 14:29   #57
Vicky

My fiance and I went to that seminar last year!!! It was SO much fun! You really do get a great understanding of behavior from it. Loving dogs that are so similar to wolves, it helps so much when you think about body language and things like that. I'm jealous I won't be able to go!

Since the UKC show is moved to IN, though, I wonder if maybe I can manage to sneak away to it! Will you still be at the show on the 11th? Because I might be able able to swing getting out there, then!
Old 09-08-2010, 17:50   #58
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
Apparently, the UKC has changed their Premier location this year. I will be headed to Richmond, Indiana (same town my mom was born in, maybe it's a hopeful sign?), not Kalamazoo, on July 8-11. Haha, right now my dogs are #1 and 2 in the UKC for the Top 10...but they are the only CSVs in the country showing. Hopefully we will have some friendly competition in the not too distant future!

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/W.../DEPREMIER2010

Lafayette, IN is a little over a 2 hour drive from Richmond. It is home to "Wolf Park" (a really good organization that does education on wolves, and also the realities of hybrid ownership). They are having a seminar on July 10, 2010 about the differences and similarities in wolf and dog behavior, and also wolfxdog behavior (yes, I know our breed is not a hybrid, I just think the topic is very interesting). The cost of the seminar is $195. If we could arrange a definite group of people for this summer, I would be happy to contact Wolf Park to see if they could accomodate a visit from some CSV owners.

http://wolfpark.org/seminars.html

All the best,
Marcy
I forgot about all this until just now, did anyone have a chance to meet up this past month? I'd love to hear about it!!
Old 26-11-2010, 23:05   #59
KathyinCa

Hi there,
I am hoping to find some of these dogs in California, hopefully Northern that I can look at. Are you a breeder now?
KathyinCa jest offline   Reply With Quote