Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 08-06-2011, 18:55   #1
draggar

Default Luna loose @ night...

Recently Luna has been maturing enough to earn herself extra "privelages". For example, if I need to take another dog out for a quick walk I may leave her loose in the house (like we do with the other adults). I don't constantly watch her if she is out, etc.

Some of the dogs we even leave loose in the bedroom at night (mainly Maya and Kiri - Zorro will tend to life his leg on things, like clean laundry!). We've given Luna this HIGE privelage over the past few weeks (2-3 times a week?).

I think she doesn't know what to do with herself, though. She's on the bed, off the bed, on the bed, off the bed, prancing around, pacing, on the bed, off the bed, etc.. When we were on vacation in Orlando we allowed her loose many nights and she did excellent - she'd curl up either at the foot of the bed or inbetween us (or that one night she tried to sleep on my head!) and slept.

I'm assuming this may be a normal adjustment going form crated at night to loose in the bedroom?
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 00:32   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
I'm assuming this may be a normal adjustment going form crated at night to loose in the bedroom?
Yes !

She is sort off institutionalized from (living) in a crate, she must now get used to be free and in the begining they do not really know what to do whit there new freedom

As Orlando is not at home, it is not the same, home is always home and at home she is not use to be free at night.

AND I´m so so happy she is now free

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 09-06-2011, 22:10   #3
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Yes !

She is sort off institutionalized from (living) in a crate, she must now get used to be free and in the begining they do not really know what to do whit there new freedom
We had sort of the same reaction with our husky Buddy when we first trusted him loose in the house while we were gone. The first two times we left (just for a few hours) he seemed like he didn't know what to do with himself, but once he realized being out was the new routine (AND we had no way of catching him on the couch!) he settled right in. I think a lot of what helped is him seeing that we weren't reacting in the slightest like anything was out of the ordinary. I think if we made a big deal about leaving him or coming home, things could have turned out a lot differently.
Old 09-06-2011, 23:09   #4
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
(AND we had no way of catching him on the couch!) he settled right in.
Pun intended?
Old 18-06-2011, 14:09   #5
draggar

She's getting better now. While she is still a little antsy, she's no where as bad as she used to be, we even kept some toys in the bedroom to keep her occupied.

My wife says that when I'm not there she'll jump up on the bed and lie next to her, but she rarely jumps on the bed when I'm in it (and maybe once lied down for more than a minute). She won't jump on the bed if Maiya is on there (the matriarch dog).