Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 29-09-2011, 02:31   #1
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak
Default Creating a working/training/character test - what should it look like?

I plan to watch a working aptitude evaluation for Dobermans, sponsored by a local doberman club next month. Dogs that pass the exam receive a certificate saying that they have "working aptitude". Here is an example: And of course, we are all familiar with schutzhund/IPO work. I am starting to think of what a "breed specific exam" might look like for our breed. I think it should include these components:

1. SVP test
2. Tracking (or trailing?) test
3. Obedience test

Since bonitation is a one time event, I would keep that seperate, I think...

Should protection be a part of the exam? I like the scenarios in the Doberman temperament evaluation - portions of it remind me of the temperament portion of the Czech bonitation I was very lucky to attend. Would this short temperament test be a more reasonable test than the more involved and precise protection exams of schutzhund/IPO? I like the ideas of increasing levels of difficulty as well (like IPO 1, IPO 2, IPO 3). Is there anything else that should be included? Thoughts? Just daydreaming of the day we have any such breed specific exams in the USA...I love working with my dogs!