Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 19-05-2010, 17:12   #61
Angelika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
Yes, i´m sure - it is more civilized and cultivated where i live ....!
Bye again, dear. I never knew how to handle people without any humo(u)r.
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 17:43   #62
Silvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelika View Post
Bye again, dear. I never knew how to handle people without any humo(u)r.
Hey "Angie" - you didn´t see the smilies ????

May be YOU are the one with a lack of humour - or of understanding ?

Ok, it´s not worth talking about any more.

Last edited by Silvester; 19-05-2010 at 17:45. Reason: Printing mistake
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 23:14   #63
buidelwolf

When he was a puppy, I fed my dog Royal Canin (German Shepherd puppy/junior). He kept diarrhea and redness/itch in the groin. According to my vet, he was possibly sensitive to grain or other ingredients in the kibble.

After an examination of the kibble ingredients i discovered that there are very much "meat substitutes" and various fillers in it, but very little meat (as with almost all kibble brands). The abundantly present cereals for example are a cheap source of protein but of different quality than animal protein.

I decided to start feeding him a complete & balanced raw meat brand when he was about 10 months. Almost immediately an incredible result. Diarrhea gone (immediatley), very little poo, redness/itch in the groin disappeared within a week, he got a beautiful coat, chalk white teeth... I combine it with chicken necks, salmon carcasses (with a thick layer of meat between the bones), raw eggs, smashed green beans / tomato, green tripe, sometimes kitchen scraps and sheep ribs.

Every time it's a feast for him, he's just doing fantastic on it. Costs nor any effort neither much money. "Suum cuique", but for me this is feeding for ultimate health.

Last edited by buidelwolf; 20-05-2010 at 07:48.
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 23:52   #64
Vicky

I wish I had the time, energy, and refrigerator/freezer space to feed raw. I know better than to think I'm that ambitious, and that knowledgeable, to feed a balanced, nutritious diet. I feed our dog Natural Balance grain free kibble, and mix two different types together to give him more protein sources. Usually I'll do duck and lamb or venison, so there's a white and a red meat. He also gets Natural Balance meat roll, which I love, because it has all sorts of organ meats in it.

I think eventually I'll switch him over to EVO, though, because I like the ingredients better, Natural Balance isn't quite so "balanced" as they'd like you to believe.

But, yeah, if I thought I could manage it, I think raw is definitely the best way to go. That way you know exactly what your dog is eating. I don't even cook that well for MYSELF though!!
Old 20-05-2010, 00:58   #65
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
I think eventually I'll switch him over to EVO, though, because I like the ingredients better, Natural Balance isn't quite so "balanced" as they'd like you to believe.
Just a heads up but Natura, EVO's parent company, just got brought out by Proctor and Gamble, parent company of IAMs.

Not sure how long the quality is going to last under them.. and dog food manufacturers are not obligated to reflect ingredient changes for 6 months.

I found it odd that the Natural Balance rolls have sugar as an ingredient (or corn syrup, something like that) in it. For that reason we never fed it when we used to do kibble (we were on Orijen/Ziwipeak/Honest Kitchen), even as a treat.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 11:10   #66
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

hi

i find my csv does best with a raw meaty bones diet and fish4dogs kibble (not in the same meal)
layla.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 13:23   #67
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Just a heads up but Natura, EVO's parent company, just got brought out by Proctor and Gamble, parent company of IAMs.

Not sure how long the quality is going to last under them.. and dog food manufacturers are not obligated to reflect ingredient changes for 6 months.

I found it odd that the Natural Balance rolls have sugar as an ingredient (or corn syrup, something like that) in it. For that reason we never fed it when we used to do kibble (we were on Orijen/Ziwipeak/Honest Kitchen), even as a treat.
Well crap. I'm surprised that a company that's so concerned about quality would be bought out like that. I guess I'll have to keep an ear open to people talking about changes. That's one of the reasons I want to switch from Natural Balance, is ingredient changes. The foods I'm feeding have bumped up the potato half of the ingredients, pushing the meat parts down a tad. Dogs don't need all that starch!

My cat's already ON EVO, I really hope they don't mess with it! If not, though, the awesome store where I get it has a great staff that keeps up to tabs on all this stuff, I'm sure they'll have a good alternative. I just hate going through the process of switching foods.

Oh, also, here's the ingredient list for the Lamb meat rolls that we feed Buddy:

Quote:
Lamb, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Lamb Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid source of Vitamin C) Sucrose, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphates, Brewer's Yeast, Dried Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Glycerin, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, ,Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Nitrite.
I see Sucrose in there, is that what you mean? Regardless, there's a noticeable difference in Buddy when we run out and he doesn't have it for awhile, so I'm pretty sure it's doing him good.

Last edited by Vicky; 20-05-2010 at 13:27.
Old 25-12-2010, 14:02   #68
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Default Christmas food for a Wolfdog :0)

Frozen Pig Filé in the Kennel Yard at X-mas

Hronec Taabernakkelin, Happy X-mas

Rasty z Molu Es, Happy X-mas

And Merry X-mas to ALL CsV and CsV owners

/ Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 25-12-2010 at 20:00.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 12:39   #69
Silvester

Default Whole animals...

Hey Mikael , merry Christmas to you and to all other people here of course first of all !

My Csw "Zeus Lupus Ibericus" gets also nearly only raw food, sometimes whole animals like rabbits, hares or chicken - he likes that kind of food as much as the bones which i regularly get from a hunter who´s a friend of mine in a nearby village.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12888.jpg (73.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12880.jpg (89.4 KB, 44 views)
Old 26-12-2010, 12:58   #70
Rona
Distinguished Member

We are having a little Christmas controversy here...
Could somebody tell me if occassional giving bits of ham - not on regular basis, but remains of human meals, is really that harmful for our csvs? I know pork should not be given to dogs, but is close to being poisonous, like e.g. raisins, or just only unhealthy, like for humans?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 15:32   #71
michaelundinaeichhorn

You shouldn´t feed untested raw pig meat because of the Aujetzky Virus. Smoked or cooked ham is no problem.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 15:50   #72
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
You shouldn´t feed untested raw pig meat because of the Aujetzky Virus. Smoked or cooked ham is no problem.
Thanks, that's what I thought

Old 26-12-2010, 18:22   #73
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
Hey Mikael , merry Christmas to you and to all other people here of course first of all !

My Csw "Zeus Lupus Ibericus" gets also nearly only raw food, sometimes whole animals like rabbits, hares or chicken - he likes that kind of food as much as the bones which i regularly get from a hunter who´s a friend of mine in a nearby village.
The photos look´s like 100% natural BARF

You must hawe very Happy Wolfdogs

Merry Christmas / Mikael
Old 26-12-2010, 18:37   #74
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Supermarket pork (at least in from the US) are fine. The doses of deworming and antibiotics given to the pigs deal with the majority of cases of Trichinosis infection. Wild pig and boar is another matter (bear, also).
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 19:05   #75
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

In Sweden the veterinarian say "just do not feed raw chicken"
But I mostly feed raw deer, pig, lamb that has bean frozen for at least 6 month.

but from time to time I feed pig + pig parts that has bean frozen just for about 14 days...

If I feed wild pig, it is tested by a laboratory first

Best regards / Mikael

PS, Jing, I like your new avatare Puppy on the way , DS
Old 26-12-2010, 20:23   #76
Silvester

Default Dementi...!

Originally posted by Mikael:
"You must have very Happy Wolfdogs "

Hey Mikael - thank you for compliment ...I do my very best !

But - i only own ONE wolfdog, sorry.

And in connection with the discussion here about raw pig´s meat I´d like to say , that I know here in Germany during more than the last ten years there were not one case of Aujetzky Virus found / proofed.

But of course it CAN happen here or in other places /countries and so I agree to the statement of Ina Eichhorn. Why take a risk which is not needed and can be avoided easily ?

Best greetings to everyone !

Uli alias Silvester
Old 26-12-2010, 21:01   #77
michaelundinaeichhorn

Anyway we do have Aujetzky in wild pigs and Rona lives in Poland, I don´t know the situation there.
There have been two dead hunting dogs after a hunt on wild pigs in Austria, they did only get contact with blood, they didn´t eat any parts.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 15:00   #78
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
Anyway we do have Aujetzky in wild pigs and Rona lives in Poland, I don´t know the situation there.
Neither do I But it's better to cautious than sorry. It has never occured to me to feed my dog regularly on pork, or to give her unboiled poultry.

Old 02-04-2011, 17:43   #79
Gypsy Wolf

Default New Study of Large & Giant Breed Puppy Development & Nutrition

If anyone is interested, I was recently forwarded a new study from Royal Canin regarding Large/Giant Breed Puppy Development & Nutrition.
If you would like me to forward the info to you, fell free to email me: [email protected]
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:27   #80
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

1/3 Dry food and 2/3 meat whit fat....