Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 29-09-2011, 14:26   #61
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Hi Blaidd have you seen the thread on british kennel club recognition your views wouild be welcome

Thankyou pixie, yes i did read it after another forum member pointed me in that direction.however I am put off by the narrow minded behaviour of some members of the forum and they seem more interested in bitching than actually the importance of the thread. would I want to be on a committee with this type of person NO which is a shame because their actions could also be putting off guests with 'companion dogs' joining this forum.

Thankyou Murph,
happyfeet jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 15:14   #62
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
GalomyOak...what do you mean by 'outside' people and mindless questions?!
I am referring to the people that come up to me...on a busy main road full of crowds - and ask me "Is that a wolf?" or the people that come up fussing at me how irresponsible it is to own such an animal (I get this especially when I am walking my big, totally stable male, Bongo, who is a therapy dog that works with mentally students prone to outbursts and "odd" behaviors ). I mean, c'mon. Unfortunately, this isn't limited to the average person walking the street; "experts" also exhibit this reasoning from time to time as well...it's why we decided to go with Vlcak in the US instead of wolfdog.

I was referring to this comment (maybe clueless is a better term than mindless):

"when I am out with my dogs many people ask what they are and i reply czechoslovakian wolfdogs the obvious next question is usually how come a wolf dog do they have wolf in them, I usually just smile and say yes originally they did but by the time i've explained a bit more they are glazed over and confused. Even my vet asked me if I knew of what % wolf genes would be left now? So I thought I'd ask on here, Ive followed the site a while but thought it was a valid ask!"

There is no need, really, to explain to these people "how much wolf" is in my Vlcak. They have already developed their own ideas based on what they see. More important is to describe the value of our breed, and how they have been selectively bred for many years, and let them interact with my dog. If they are receptive, then I will explain more. The coolness of dogs (or wolfdogs) is the ability to control their genetic variability within a relatively short period of time.
Old 29-09-2011, 15:49   #63
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
Thankyou pixie, yes i did read it after another forum member pointed me in that direction.however I am put off by the narrow minded behaviour of some members of the forum and they seem more interested in bitching than actually the importance of the thread. would I want to be on a committee with this type of person NO which is a shame because their actions could also be putting off guests with 'companion dogs' joining this forum.

Thankyou Murph,
Shame, it seems to me its the breeders on here that are not fully behind this move and are slagging off companion owners, I have my suspicionns why. the fact some people are not interested because of faceless bitching and backbiting is quite annoying
pixie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 16:07   #64
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I'm puzzled by the conception that everyone wasn't being helpful or was only being bitchy. I presented the facts as they are, really. If your vet or whoever advised if you knew the % of wolf in the dogs, he or she has a poor grasp on genetics, as, again, the number is neither indicative not accurate.

If pressed I prefer to simply say that the breed has been in closed stud book status for ~30 years, and that the foundation was a handful of Carpathian wolves and many GSDs at a CZ border patrol kennel. and that the last wolf added in regards to my specific dogs' pedigree is (6, 7, what have you) generations ago if someone is real curious. That's basically the most accurate info I can give them, really, because if you think about it, if by pure mathematical calculation, a wolf x dog breeding plan can achieve ~30% in 3 generations. Definitely not an accurate description of either the breeding that happened, nor useful information regarding breed foundation.

PS. Does this post make me a 'wannabe expert'?

Last edited by yukidomari; 29-09-2011 at 20:29.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 20:13   #65
Jennin Lauma

I was trying to use the elf's tool, but I'm having some problems with it. I entered a dog's name but I only got a blue page with no information.
Can somebody help me out; I was trying to look for the mathematical (theorethical) wolfblood content of the dog Oxbow Léva-Nève.
Just out of curiosity.

Edit: OK, I got it working with Explorer (didn't work with Mozilla)

Last edited by Jennin Lauma; 29-09-2011 at 21:02.
Jennin Lauma jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 20:16   #66
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennin Lauma View Post
I was trying to use the elf's tool, but I'm having some problems with it. I entered a dog's name but I only got a blue page with no information.
Can somebody help me out; I was trying to look for the mathematical (theorethical) wolfblood content of the dog Oxbow Léva-Nève.
Just out of curiosity.
Hi Jenni,
You must use the dog's database ID number, for Oxbow that is 10973.

His theoretical content:
http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tcheco...y?dog_id=10973
Old 29-09-2011, 20:40   #67
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Shame, it seems to me its the breeders on here that are not fully behind this move and are slagging off companion owners, I have my suspicionns why. the fact some people are not interested because of faceless bitching and backbiting is quite annoying

gutted to see when i go on the uk kennel club reg forum thread that its only for the chosen few and they are isolating it to breeders online and themselves its a shambles!!!!! I am disgusted
Old 29-09-2011, 20:52   #68
happyfeet

Quote:
gutted to see when i go on the uk kennel club reg forum thread that its only for the chosen few and they are isolating it to breeders online and themselves its a shambles!!!!! I am disgusted

WELCOME TO THE WOLF DOG FORUM ITS A WELCOMING PLACE
Old 29-09-2011, 21:07   #69
Tassle

Quote:

I am not a breeder online? I am not sure where you are looking, but at the moment, it looks like anyone with a positive input is being taken seriously....
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 21:40   #70
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

I am not a breeder online? I am not sure where you are looking, but at the moment, it looks like anyone with a positive input is being taken seriously....

Looks like the chosen few to me, and this will in my opinion cause more unease
Old 29-09-2011, 22:26   #71
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennin Lauma View Post
Just out of curiosity.

Edit: OK, I got it working with Explorer (didn't work with Mozilla)
A bit off topic, according to the database this dog is in Finland, do you know something about him?
Old 29-09-2011, 22:58   #72
happyfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post
A bit off topic, according to the database this dog is in Finland, do you know something about him?
Hi Nebulosa, Bit Off Topic your request for info ehh?
Old 29-09-2011, 23:09   #73
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Hi Nebulosa, Bit Off Topic your request for info ehh?
And? If it start a new topic inside this one is only split it.

Last edited by Nebulosa; 29-09-2011 at 23:13.
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 23:17   #74
buidelwolf

Quote:
Just out of curiosity.
Hello Jenni,

The mathematical wolfblood percentage of Oxbow Léva-Nève is 28,077% Click here

It isn't necessary to fill in the dog's number. Also its name works in Elf's tool. Just fill in the word "oxbow". The system accepts no strange characters, so it is advisable in some instances only to type a part of the dog's name in the entry field.

A very valuable tool that I take a lot of searching with, especially now that wolfdog does not show statistics anymore and also the possibilities of making different calculations (f.e. C.O.I)isn't possible since more than one year.

Regards

Last edited by buidelwolf; 29-09-2011 at 23:40.
buidelwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 08:55   #75
elf

Thank you all for delighted comments, still very glad this tool helps !

@Jennin, I had a Léva-Nève SH, I saw you're mushing, do you own one ?
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:29   #76
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

Nebulosa, Oxbow is one of the dogs who is foundation stock to the Tamaskan breed.

Yuko, the stud book for csw is still open!

Of course it is interesting to know the wolf %. I know a lot of people who are interested in that number. And that is the reason why wolfdog.org did throw it out! If it is only a number and nothing value, why the hell it was thrown out?

But the point is, that the main important thing in a wolfdog is the wolfgenes or dog genes which he gets from his parents. So you can find in Finland some F 2, F 3 wolfdogs with only 25 to 32 % bred out of an american wolfdog and Siberian Husky who act like a F 2 high content with 80 %. So in the end the wolf % is not so interesting.

But because wolf % are not so interested and only a number I am wondering why here some people say and do so, that a csw is "only" a recogonized dog breed????? If the wolf and dog genes are important for the animals so you will find of coure F 6 animals who act more like wolf than like a dog!

I wrote it several times even in Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, Basenji, Saluki, Chow Chow, Shar Pei, Afghan dog and some old more than 500 years old breeds do have wolf genes in them! So it lays on the hands that a csw is full of wolfgenes of course! Wolfgenetic scientist will laugh loud if you ask them that question.

Galy, there are even american wolfdogs F 2 who work as therapy dogs. By the way I know what I am talking about, I have an almost 8 year old csw female, an almost 6 year old csw male, a 3,5 year old very high content american male, a 4 year high content american female and two pups 6 month high content male and female from my female. And the female is a better dog than all dogs I know.

Christian
www.wolfdogs-siouxtala.de

Last edited by hanninadina; 30-09-2011 at 12:31.
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 17:48   #77
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
Quote:
Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, Basenji, Saluki, Chow Chow, Shar Pei, Afghan dog and some old more than 500 years old breeds do have wolf genes in them!
Christian
www.wolfdogs-siouxtala.de
yes,both Sibes and Mals are amongst the 14 most ancient breeds of domestic dog, and as such, are in evolutionary terms, further from their wolf origins than most other domestic breeds.
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 18:56   #78
Czertice
Rakša

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Thank you all for delighted comments, still very glad this tool helps !

@Jennin, I had a Léva-Nève SH, I saw you're mushing, do you own one ?
I like your tool very much, I have spent quite some time playing with it, thank you
Old 30-09-2011, 18:57   #79
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post

Yuko, the stud book for csw is still open!
Besides the breeders hanging papers and unofficial outcrossing, can you help me understand which FCI-participant country openly allows outside studs which are accepted FCI-wide?

Thank you.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:32   #80
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

Tupa, what do you mean, mutation was runing earlier and that is why you think they are more far away from the wolf? Wow, this opinion is the first time I read. But why do you for example Malamutes have 43 ways to express themselves, but a german shepard has only 12? Mimik in their face body, I mean. And why does a Basenji gets only 1 time a year in heat???

I would say you are completely wrong. Better you read this paper http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture08837.html . The main author Prof. Dr. Bob Wayne sent it to me, if anyone wants a pdf copy please mail me, I will send [email protected] . I couldnot find the whole article without paying.

Yuko, do you know Monika Soukupova, breeder z Molu Es of ccsw for 25 years? She is special judge, dog trainer pp. She told me last year during world dog show, that the stud book is still open. And so far I know the clubs in each countries are allowed to cross in a wolf, if they can expalin why it would be necessary for the breed.

Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote