Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 01-07-2011, 15:55   #221
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I guess I am now "officially" one of those weird competitors who likes to try to "work" with my dog. Obedience and tracking anyways, and now we also are training in some other scent detection work - as a diabetic alert dog. I would hardly consider myself an advanced trainer. A beginner, really!

1. My male Bongo is a certified therapy dog. (Not to be confused with a service dog). His "work" is to visit and be obedient for emotionally disturbed adolescents. Very obedient. He is not social like a Golden Retriever - but he warms up quickly to trust new people, and I can trust him in all situations - parades, running loose with other dogs and animals - more than I could trust many other dogs. We have a good relationship...but mostly he is obedient.

2. Last week, I attended my first AKC obedience competition with my female, Anthea. The competition was indoors, in a huge, loud, metal convention center - thousands of people, hundreds of dogs, bright lights, vendors, ladders. I don't generally like much attention to myself, so I was quite nervous with "stage fright"...but Anthea stayed, for the most part, very focused. She has some female dominance aggression, but she always leaves this behind when she knows we have a task. We took first place last weekend, by a minimum of 17 points - over golden retrievers, labs, terriers...

3. I have a female in Florida that I bred, who at 1.5 years, is being trained as a mobility assistance dog. I know she has had unique challenges with her...but as I understand, she is still doing well.

4. I track and trail (sport) with my dogs. I have had the opportunity now to train with many different breeds...I would trade none for my wolfdogs. Their drive, their endurance, their focus (and ability to refocus) is beautiful to watch. When they are "deep" with their nose in tracking, and they come to a tricky place - they freeze, sometimes with one leg in the air even, and don't move a leg until they know just where they are going. But the trick is to always challenge them - too many short/straight tracks - and they look back like "really? - why? Don't YOU see the sock down there? but c'mon, we will go...in a leisurely fashion." I have trained some protection work with my dogs, but got kind of the same reaction after a bite or two. They got bored with the "game".The real protective instinct has shown itself at more important times, such as strange drunk men approaching me at dark on the beach.

I don't think all CSVs are all cut out for all "work", or even some "work". But to cut them out of being "top dogs" completely, and say it can never be...I don't know if it's right either (though I surely don't want a GSD personality either). I think the biggest thing to own one is to have and open, flexible, FORGIVING!!!! mind - and be willing to work towards greatness at what their strengths are. Mixed breeding, especially with a AWD or Saarloos, or any other mix....surely only adds more variability - and thus unpredictability for untold generations.
Old 01-07-2011, 22:05   #222
Jennin Lauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Satu View Post
Some people here who writes have a back yard full of hybrids and their dogs in the background are not fully known.
But what does this matter if some people own "hybrids" / AWD? If people have "mixes/mutts", so let them! And what does it matter how well they know the background / pedigree of their "mutts"? -Only parents? To 2nd gen? To 3rd? To 6th? What difference does it make for a pet "mutt"?

What is critizised here is falcifying pedigrees of FCI registered breeds. Not every AWD owner automatically make their secret coctails and falcify pedigrees, so I don't see what does this have to do with the subject discussed here.

Quote:
On the Internet is easy to shout and make very knowledgeable.
Shouting? Hmmm.. I didn't notice anyone -SHOUTING!!!!- here.
Isn't the whole idea of discussion forums to discuss; i.e. to share opinions, information, ideas, etc...? I thought so and actually I think that considering how very flammable subject this is we are discussing here, the conversation has been relatively calm. Everyone here are sharing their opinions and everyone has the right to do so, whether they are breeders, owners or just bystanders/fanciers of the breed who feel they have some thoughts to share.
Old 01-07-2011, 23:12   #223
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

And i´m talking about you?
Old 01-07-2011, 23:53   #224
Jennin Lauma

Quote:
And i´m talking about you?
?
Whoever you talk about, I'm interested to know:
Quote:
But what does this matter if some people own "hybrids" / AWD? If people have "mixes/mutts", so let them! And what does it matter how well they know the background / pedigree of their "mutts"? -Only parents? To 2nd gen? To 3rd? To 6th? What difference does it make for a pet "mutt"?
So it would be nice if you could clarify your point in what you wrote before.
I didn't quite catch it.
Old 02-07-2011, 00:09   #225
Jennin Lauma

GalomyOak, concratulations for the results you have gained with your CsV. I think tracking is a great job for wolfdogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
I don't think all CSVs are all cut out for all "work", or even some "work". But to cut them out of being "top dogs" completely, and say it can never be...I don't know if it's right either (though I surely don't want a GSD personality either). I think the biggest thing to own one is to have and open, flexible, FORGIVING!!!! mind - and be willing to work towards greatness at what their strengths are. Mixed breeding, especially with a AWD or Saarloos, or any other mix....surely only adds more variability - and thus unpredictability for untold generations.
Never say never. There will always be exceptional individuals in both dogs and their trainers.
But let's talk about the average CsV and the average buyers/owners.
-Do we need another GSD? Do we WANT another GSD? What kind of people buy CsV and for what purpose? What are their expectations for the breed? To what kind of activities they are planning to head with their CsV?
What are concidered to be the biggest issues/problems in the CsV character, and how to overcome them?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35   #226
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
I'd just add, that expressions "working" and "training" are very misleading. To some people they mean just training the dogs for official exams (IPO), to others - the dog being able to cooperate with the human in all sorts of activities, sometimes quite unconventional, like historical reconstructions, genuine man trailing, assisting in expeditions, guarding a site, etc. etc.

If we take the 1st meaning - I agree there are more suitable breeds, if the other - vlcaks due to their empathy, may be competitive to other breeds. Given the chance to learn how, vlcaks work by cooperating with humans, not necessarily by blindly obeying them.
I can sign after every word of yours

Marcy - if you love exams and so on with your dogs - this is great!!! We all can find our own ways to enjoy a CSV. If training is your way so you are having your best from your relationship with a wolfdog

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 14:16   #227
GalomyOak
Howling Member

I don't really consider myself - or my dogs, other than they are MY dogs, my babies - exceptional. We are average. I had no dogs growing up, and only 2 - a mixed breed and a GSD - to base my "dog experience" on. I knew there would be a huge learning curve when I bought my first CSV (something I emphasize to potential new owners). I don't train every minute of every day. I am a teacher, and live on a small farm - we train when we have time. I am not so rich to afford top trainers or to to dog shows and trials every weekend. We go through local dog classes, and the rest is...a hobby, for free time.

Moreoever, I tried to do a selection from different lines since I knew each dog might potentially one day have something to contribute to breeding here. All of my dogs are very different from one another. I appreciate that, and try to recognize their weaknesses, and also their strengths. With the breedings I do, I will always look for ways to improve the breed - temperament, health, structure, and aptitudes for working. In new owners for my puppies, I don't look for "working" homes, nor do I place in homes with "mystical wolf" people. I do look for homes that are active, have dog experience, enough time, space, good family and work setup - and most importantly - someone with that open and flexible mind. It's hard work, finding good owners, just for one litter every 1-2 years, in the whole USA. It's becoming a little easier now, since people are starting to become familier with the breed - but maybe harder too, since it requires more "searching" to see what the intentions of people really are. I imagine it becomes more difficult to find good homes for 4-5+ litters a year. Maybe it's not the breed itself, but how the breed is "grown" instead, that creates issues? No, my dogs are NOT GSDs, I work with those too (DDR lines, with common GSD ancestors to my CSVs)...THEY make me crazy. Hmmm..I think we have moved to a different topic.
Old 02-07-2011, 20:31   #228
Jennin Lauma

Quote:
Moreoever, I tried to do a selection from different lines since I knew each dog might potentially one day have something to contribute to breeding here. All of my dogs are very different from one another. I appreciate that, and try to recognize their weaknesses, and also their strengths. With the breedings I do, I will always look for ways to improve the breed - temperament, health, structure, and aptitudes for working. In new owners for my puppies, I don't look for "working" homes, nor do I place in homes with "mystical wolf" people. I do look for homes that are active, have dog experience, enough time, space, good family and work setup - and most importantly - someone with that open and flexible mind. It's hard work, finding good owners, just for one litter every 1-2 years, in the whole USA. It's becoming a little easier now, since people are starting to become familier with the breed - but maybe harder too, since it requires more "searching" to see what the intentions of people really are.
good thoughts
Old 03-07-2011, 20:48   #229
Czertice
Rakša

Quote:
I don't really consider myself - or my dogs, other than they are MY dogs, my babies - exceptional. We are average. I had no dogs growing up, and only 2 - a mixed breed and a GSD - to base my "dog experience" on. I knew there would be a huge learning curve when I bought my first CSV (something I emphasize to potential new owners). I don't train every minute of every day. I am a teacher, and live on a small farm - we train when we have time. I am not so rich to afford top trainers or to to dog shows and trials every weekend. We go through local dog classes, and the rest is...a hobby, for free time.

Moreoever, I tried to do a selection from different lines since I knew each dog might potentially one day have something to contribute to breeding here. All of my dogs are very different from one another. I appreciate that, and try to recognize their weaknesses, and also their strengths. With the breedings I do, I will always look for ways to improve the breed - temperament, health, structure, and aptitudes for working. In new owners for my puppies, I don't look for "working" homes, nor do I place in homes with "mystical wolf" people. I do look for homes that are active, have dog experience, enough time, space, good family and work setup - and most importantly - someone with that open and flexible mind. It's hard work, finding good owners, just for one litter every 1-2 years, in the whole USA. It's becoming a little easier now, since people are starting to become familier with the breed - but maybe harder too, since it requires more "searching" to see what the intentions of people really are. I imagine it becomes more difficult to find good homes for 4-5+ litters a year. Maybe it's not the breed itself, but how the breed is "grown" instead, that creates issues? No, my dogs are NOT GSDs, I work with those too (DDR lines, with common GSD ancestors to my CSVs)...THEY make me crazy. Hmmm..I think we have moved to a different topic.
On the site where I publish my CSV photos, I get lots of people asking about how it is with CSVs in the US, interested in acquiring one. So I usually point them to you and your website, apart from wolfdog.org. I suspect some of these people fall into the 'mystical wolf' cathegory, but not all of them. I hope you don't mind;]
Old 07-07-2011, 23:58   #230
whitefang

Just one question, maybe I haven't read it here: Do the red CSV-puppies in France get FCI-pedigrees? Therefor they are not according to the standard...
whitefang jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 00:03   #231
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefang View Post
Just one question, maybe I haven't read it here: Do the red CSV-puppies in France get FCI-pedigrees? Therefor they are not according to the standard...
The breed standard is something unknown by the huge majority of the CzW breeders, then how will an group-judge or an all-rounder judge be able to know how should look like a CzW when nor even the breeders knows it?
We can often meet atypical dogs winning titles at dogshows, I will not get amazed if a red dog win as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 00:05   #232
whitefang

@Vaiva and Jennin Lauma: Just agree with your statements about breeding! Just brought on the point of view!
Old 08-07-2011, 00:11   #233
whitefang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post
The breed standard is something unknown by the huge majority of the CzW breeders, then how will an group-judge or an all-rounder judge be able to know how should look like a CzW when nor even the breeders knows it?.
You are right, many jugdes don't know really the wolfdogs. It is the same by the Saarlooswolfdogs.
But if the breeder will get the pedigrees at his club or the SCC and the colour isn't right, is it not the club or SCC, who denied the pedigrees?
In Germany you have to declare the colour of the puppies and if the colours wouldn't be right, I am sure that the VDH wouldn't give the pedigrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post
We can often meet atypical dogs winning titles at dogshows, I will not get amazed if a red dog win as well.
Haha, oh year ... or better, oh no! That would be a scandal!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:38   #234
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Puppies being untypical is not a reason to not give pedigrees - if the color is totaly impossible in the breed than the kennel club can ask parentage tests, or can write directly in the paper that the puppy is not standard and cannot be used for breeding, but that's all.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:18   #235
Lorry - MLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Puppies being untypical is not a reason to not give pedigrees - if the color is totaly impossible in the breed than the kennel club can ask parentage tests, or can write directly in the paper that the puppy is not standard and cannot be used for breeding, but that's all.
Pour répondre à cette question :
J'aurai pu en effet inscrire les chiots, à la S.C.C., au titre de la descendance, puisque les tests ANTAGENE de filiation prouvent, sans l'ombre d'un doute, que les chiots sont bien issus de Sibir et Thalia Crying wolf....
Je pouvais donc demander les certificats de naissance officiels, en précisant "simplement" la couleur rousse sur les documents...

Dans les cas de litige, la Société Centrale Canine prend en compte la réalité de la filiation (via des tests génétiques) et non la couleur de la robe d'un chiot (qui peut évoluer dans le temps)....

Après mûre réflexion, j'ai choisi de ne pas demander les certificats de naissance pour ces chiots.....

Ils ne sont donc pas inscrits au Livre des Origines Français (LOF) en tant que chien-loup tchecoslovaque.
De même, sur leur carte d'identification, il est bien précisé la mention "Type" chien loup tchécoslovaque + la couleur Rousse

Ils ne seront JAMAIS inscrits au LOF (même à titre initial) et n'auront jamais de descendants, puisque rendus inaptes à la reproduction ....

Mais je le répète, rien ne pouvait m'interdire d'inscrire ces chiots au titre de la descendance, si je l'avais voulu, puisque les parents sont bien déclarés, eux, comme étant des chiens-loup tchécoslovaques de pure race et la filiation reconnue en tant que telle.....

Last edited by Lorry - MLS; 08-07-2011 at 16:35.
Lorry - MLS jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 16:21   #236
Lorry - MLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefang View Post
Cf. Réponse détaillée faite à Sashia ...
Old 13-07-2011, 22:32   #237
Jet

May be Lorry wrote in french because she is tired to have to justify her acts...
May be, she wanted ton write in FRench to be sure that all her words are the good one

She is one of the best french breeder, by telling, acting, to the pure CSV breed, and almost with health purpose.

And you kow... I don't know that girl (Woman? ) I never met her, I never wrote her... I have no interrest with her... It s only the truth.

And as i write friendly things about people, i just wanted to tell another thing, out of this subject : Yukidomari just helped me to see my dog's pictures were stolen by a US people.

So.... Keep in your mind : universal forums are good to exchange, share, and be friends all round the countries!!!!
It is sometime the most important, better than a dog's color....
Old 19-07-2011, 10:57   #238
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

What do you say to this pup? It is wild german wolf pup from the Milkeler Pack born this year in Eastern Germany the Lausitz - not far from Margo and Przemek, lol. All red in coat!Do you think this is a pure wolf pup? http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/...11336Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 13:36   #239
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
What do you say to this pup? It is wild german wolf pup from the Milkeler Pack born this year in Eastern Germany the Lausitz - not far from Margo and Przemek, lol. All red in coat!Do you think this is a pure wolf pup? http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/...11336Christian
It says (I think, it's in German , which is a little rusty for me!) that I need a password...
Old 19-07-2011, 15:31   #240
Vicky

So, I've seen this dog pop up quite a bit when I've looked at pedigrees:

http://www.wolfdog.org/dbase/d/1331

Am I crazy, or wouldn't you consider that red? Or is it just because it's an old photo?