Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 22-02-2012, 20:03   #41
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

well, I use redirection and praise. It is easiest for me when I walk her around yards where other dogs are - when we approach, I remind her that she is not allowed to bark and jump and show aggressive behavior. If she ignores the dog or shows positive interest, she is praised. If she gets tense or behaves wrong, I call her to myself, and start giving her commands like "sit" and "heel" and require her to look at me (I turn her head toward me/away from the other dog). Then we walk away and I release her from "heel" command. So she knows that if she is not behaving properly, she will have to "do stupid things" and not get to sniff around (our walks are for her to sniff and pee), so she tends to avoid confrontations...
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:20   #42
Rush

He was just 1 year old. I do try to redirect attention ofcourse, and i do always prize him for good behavior and no agressive signs when meeting dogs. But in some cases non of those things work. And yes, mostly on leash we get to such situation..

Thanks for your replays..

P.S. I was teaching him to walk heel all the time on leash, but i give him chances to sniff and do his stuff too.. Also he is off leash much too..
And i do put him to sit when it comes to unwanted behavior, and when he calms we continue ahead.

Last edited by Rush; 23-02-2012 at 12:23.
Rush jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 00:01   #43
TimoleonVieta

I just wanted to thank the people that gave me such good advice in this thread.
Some of the advice really "stuck" & was called upon in my first few months with my lovely young Vlcak.

Everything has been a collaboration, & the training/upbringing has been great fun. As Fede said, the Vlcak when brought up in favourable conditions can think itself out of trouble. This has helped no end in being able to form a trusting bond between us.

The bitch I have is 10 months old now, and so far has shown no aggression, & remarkable intelligence & intuition for one so young. She plays with kittens, dogs large or small. She plays with the pig on the farm & can be trusted with horses. When she is ever attacked, she will respond with passivity, a warning; or blistering pace and agility to run away.

In the city so far, she remains off the lead as my last dog did & responds well to sign language.

To invest such trust takes alot of energy, but I hope when she reaches maturity it will all have been worth it.

Thanks once again
TimoleonVieta jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 00:51   #44
TimoleonVieta

a photo or two

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 14-09-2012, 18:13   #45
TimoleonVieta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoleonVieta View Post
Hi

Does anyone have any stories that offer an exception to this. Has anybody owned a CSV from puppy & not had their sofa partially consumed. Has somebody had an experience when they had a nice car that the CSV did not destroy when young & left in the car for an hour?
re reading my original post has made me smile!

So far 99% has been positive in raising my vlcak

Although to date she has partially consumed

1 x My Beloved Porsche
1 x Vauxhall Corsa
1 x Peugeot 205
1 x Ford Fiesta
1 x My Beloved 1982 Toyota Hiace Campervan

in the positive she does travel well though, but oh don't leave her in the car!
Old 10-10-2012, 20:22   #46
Fede86
Entità cinofila da web...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoleonVieta View Post

The bitch I have is 10 months old now, and so far has shown no aggression, & remarkable intelligence & intuition for one so young. She plays with kittens, dogs large or small. She plays with the pig on the farm & can be trusted with horses. When she is ever attacked, she will respond with passivity, a warning; or blistering pace and agility to run away.

In the city so far, she remains off the lead as my last dog did & responds well to sign language.
It looks like you are doing great so far
Fede86 jest offline   Reply With Quote